Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » IUD for those who haven't given birth?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IUD for those who haven't given birth?
paperclip
Neophyte
Member # 35683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paperclip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys! I just have a quick question. I'm twenty years old and haven't had a child but am in a committed relationship.

I asked my doctor about a year ago about Mirena, the IUD, that lasts up to five years, but she suggested I keep using my birth control pills because it is not recommended for ladies who have not given birth!

But today, I saw a commercial for another brand of IUD called Paragard, and it seems even cooler because its non-hormonal AND according to the brand, is safe and effective for ladies who haven't had children, unlike Mirena.

My question; Has anyone else here had any type of IUD inserted without having children first? And if so, how should I tell my doctor about this new IUD.

I'd just really love to start this new BC and be free from the pill every day! I've been on it for about 4 years...around the time I first actually discovered scarleteen haha! [Big Grin]

Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 20 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your doctor's education is dusty.

Not only was that never about having given birth, but only about having been pregnant, birth or not, that standard changed a while back. The IUD can absolutely be used by nulliparous people.

The only deal is that a) insertion can be less comfortable and b) there is a higher risk of the IUD expelling itself. But, still, for plenty of nulliparous IUD users, neither of those things are issues.

So, by all means, look into this, though since this doctor clearly has old IUD education, I'd suggest finding someone else. Someone with more current education probably also has more current training in insertion, and that matters.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paperclip
Neophyte
Member # 35683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paperclip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather, thank you for your response.

The fact that your saying that my doctor has an old education regarding IUD's makes me wonder about a few things.

I'm not sure if you remember my last post, but it was about the same doctor, who gave me two pap smears that came out with not enough cells, I was worried, and you guys suggested that it was the fault of her own methods.

I did go to see her after that to discuss the results and she did admit it was mechanical error on her part. So all her information about IUD's now are giving me a red flag too about her.

I've made an appointment with Planned Parenthood in my neighbourhood and am going to discuss with them both issues, do you think I am taking a step in the right direction?

I don't want to go ahed and get the IUD and then when she does a physical exam on me next year she just randomly sees it :/

Sooo awkard haha!

Posts: 20 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. So yeah, like I said before, time for a new sexual healthcare provider.

I think this only supports that further. I think switching to another provider is your best step, for sure. And of course, you can screen them first, too. Tell them about this stuff, see what they say and if you feel good about their answers and approaches.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

(But also? While I really don't think you have any reason to get GYN care from this doctor again, you also have the right to the contraception you want if it's right for you. If you were to get an exam from her and she saw it, that's on her, and on her to be a professional about it. If she felt awkward about that, I'd say that'd be a good thing: it's really not cool to be in this kind of practice without keeping up your education, and to be denying a patient something based on outdated health information.)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

paperclip
Neophyte
Member # 35683

Yeah Heather, I totally agree with you. The thing is I really like her for all my other health needs, so I didn't wanna offend her or anything, but at this point, I think I am a perfect candidate for an IUD from what I've learned myself. It would benefit me so much to have virtually fail proof birth control for five years or more. What I am gonna do is try to talk to her once more.

The only thing that bothers me is doing something that my doctor is so not for, is kinda worrisome. I just don't wanna do anything thats not beneficial to my health, and she seems pretty adamant about it.

But then again when I would ask about like the pill or the patch she would also be like, "Oh no don't take those, they will make you fat."

But I do have an appointment with PP next week and they will be referring me to an OB GYN and I'll see how I feel with them [Smile]

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very normal to get a second opinion when one doesn't agree with one's doctor, or, just when one wants a second opinion. Honestly it sounds as if your doctor doesn't want to try to help you figure out what birth control method would work for you. Since you're asking about that, it's her job to work with you, not against you. Aside from the fact that she's using outdated information, I think she may be giving you her personal take rather than her professional attention. Dismissing the Pill outright is not cool. Even if she was concerned about weight gain, as your doctor she could help you find a brand that worked well for you.

Anyway... Since you are committed to going on birth control and ultimately know what is best for you, finding someone who can objectively and knowledgeably discuss your options with you will benefit you greatly.

I can definitely understand feeling comfortable with her for all other things. Many people go to an an ob-gyn for their gynecological care (including yearly checkups) and stick with their GP for the rest of it.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paperclip
Neophyte
Member # 35683

Also Heather I was wondering if you could please help me with something else that is confusing me.

I was really excited about getting a copper IUD without hormones in it, instead of Mirena. But now it looks like in Canada, the brand Paragard does not exist.

There ARE copper IUD's that are available in Canada right? I've done a few google searches and have come up with nothing. I realized that Canada doesn't carry Paragard when I called my insurance company to see if they covered it, they told me it wasn't in their system.

THEN I called my pharmacy, and they said it wasn't available in Canada [Frown]

So, am I out of luck?

paperclip
Neophyte
Member # 35683

And thank you Robin, I agree that it is a good choice for me to get a second opinion. It's weird because my doctor does not seem to be conventionally "Old school," but it does seem like her birth control education is outdated, and a log with how many paps I've had with her that have came out with insufficient cells, I'm just weary of her with all things sexual health related now.

Oh and just to clear things up, I AM on the pill currently (Alesse) But now I'm just wanting to try something non-hormal [Smile]

And yes; hopefully with Planned Parenthood Canada I will be able to find a ob-gyn that I am comfortable with and who also is very informed/skilled in putting in IUD's, as I'm really excited to quit the pill haha!

paperclip
Neophyte
Member # 35683

And thank you Robin, I agree that it is a good choice for me to get a second opinion. It's weird because my doctor does not seem to be conventionally "Old school," but it does seem like her birth control education is outdated, and a log with how many paps I've had with her that have came out with insufficient cells, I'm just weary of her with all things sexual health related now.

Oh and just to clear things up, I AM on the pill currently (Alesse) But now I'm just wanting to try something non-hormal [Smile]

And yes; hopefully with Planned Parenthood Canada I will be able to find a ob-gyn that I am comfortable with and who also is very informed/skilled in putting in IUD's, as I'm really excited to quit the pill haha!

paperclip
Neophyte
Member # 35683

Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just did a little research and came up with the Nova-T or Flexi-T, which appears to be the brand of copper IUD offered in Canada.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.