Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » STI free; but UTI prone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STI free; but UTI prone?
mathdj
Neophyte
Member # 92192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mathdj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made a post here in December about potentially having an STI as I was having itchiness, needing to pee but not having to, and other unpleasant symptoms, and that my partner was feeling itchy. Due to an incident of unprotected oral before being with my current partner, it was definitely time to go and get tested.

First of all, my partner switched the soap he used in his bathroom (after observing that even the scent of it was making both of us sneeze like crazy) and soon after his genitals stopped itching. Good news for him, not so great news for me, as obviously my problem didn't go away (I don't use his soap very often haha).

But anyways, I went in and got tested.

Annnnndddd... STI test came back clean! Which was a major relief for me (and my partner). However, the doctor took another urine test and I ended up having a THIRD UTI. Apparently it isn't uncommon for sexually active women to frequently get UTIs, and those who get them often get them... Well, often. Apparently some women even get them EVERY TIME THEY HAVE SEX.

The doctor suggested that I urinate within 15 minutes of before and after sex, and to always remember to wipe front to back, etc. I'm really hoping this isn't going to happen every time I have sex, as my partner and I have sex really frequently.

My question is: Does anyone who seems to get UTIs more frequently have any advice other than what the doctor suggested for avoiding them (is the cranberry juice thing just an old wives tail thing or would that actually help)? And is it true that there are some people who get them every time they have sex, and how would someone deal with that?

Also, I had had one sexual encounter with someone before my current partner. On the other hand, he hasn't (I'm the first person he has had sexual contact with- oral, manual, intercourse, etc.). Is there any point in worrying about him getting tested and having an STI?

Thanks again Scarleteen for all of your help! [Smile]

[ 01-25-2012, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: mathdj ]

Posts: 5 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am one of those people who gets a UTI after every time I have intercourse. The cranberry juice thing is NOT a myth, it can work for some people (my dad also had chronic UTIs and that worked for him) but make sure to get the kind that is 100% juice. The non 100% kinds have sugar and stuff that actually can INCREASE the risk of UTI.

For me, however, peeing before and after sex, showering before and after sex, wiping front to back, TONS of cranberry juice & water, cranberry pills - none of it seemed to work. Eventually my doctor gave me a low dose antibiotic to take after every time I have intercourse. I do still occasionally get an infection (when I forget a pill, or sometimes I get a really strong one that seems to be resistant to the antibiotic) but it went from after every single time to less than once a year.

In addition to the antibiotics I also still follow the original advice my doctor gave me - wiping front to back, drinking lots of water, taking cranberry pill supplements everyday, peeing after sex, and washing hands/genitals/toys before any sexual contact.

[ 01-25-2012, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mathdj
Neophyte
Member # 92192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mathdj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll definitely check out either 100% cranberry juice or the cran pill supplements. Its nice to hear from someone who does have this happen. I've since had intercourse and have yet to experience any more UTI symptoms, but now that I've ruled out STI if I get another I know to go back to get rid of the awful pain. I also probably haven't been drinking enough water now that I think of it... Mostly caffeintated tea and coffee... A cup of plain h2o a day... But I'll add that to the list...

Yeah, my doctor did mention that some people have to take antibiotics every time, but that I'd have to wait and see if the problem persists.

I guess I'll follow his advice, check out the cranberry stuff, drink more water, and wait.

Thanks Kat!

Also I LOOOVEE your quote. Ada Lovelace is one of my heroes <3

Also on a funny side note, before christmas I'd mentioned to my grandma and my mom that I'd had two UTIs. My grandma gave me Uratonic Tea for christmas. An odd gift to open up in front of the whole family, a bit funny, but SOOO THOUGHTFUL.

Posts: 5 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah now that you know the symptoms you can go in right away. I keep the OTC medicine (usually the doctor gives you two medicines, antibiotics and bladder pain killers, which are OTC) in my medicine cabinet so I can take it right away if I wake up with a UTI and then go to urgent care.

Drinking water is super important, especially if you drink things like coffee which are a diuretic (they reduce the water in your body, so you need to drink more to bring it back). A good way to make sure you drink more water is to keep a water bottle with you at all times and sip on it throughout the day.

And your doctor is correct in seeing if the problem persists before making you take antibiotics everytime. If it does persist and the other suggestions don't work, they will likely want you to see a urologist first, just to rule out any underlying causes. Often just peeing after sex and drinking more water prevents UTIs.

I'm glad you like the quote. [Smile] Ada Lovelace is one of my heroes, too!

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.