Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Some Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some Questions
princeofnothing
Neophyte
Member # 94066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for princeofnothing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I was just wondering something. If you were to masturbate in a bathtub, and the semen went in the water, it would not survive long, right? But then what if some of the semen kind of sticks to the bottom and sides of the bathtub after the water drains out, you rinse it all down the drain, but you miss some by accident, and then a woman takes a bath with different water in there about a day later? Will the residue or missed semen go through the water and impregnate her? I'm just confused about this stuff because the internet has so many different answers. Thank you!
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do NOT have to worry about this.

And if you are reading ANY site that says this is a real pregnancy concern, you can know the site you are reading is not even remotely credible.

Here: Pregnancy Scared?

And: Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the situation you describe could not cause anyone to become pregnant. Semen is the fluid that carries sperm. The sperm don't survive long outside of the body. They need the semen to help them move, and just generally they're really delicate and don't live in water, or on bathtubs or most other places.

Make sense?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
princeofnothing
Neophyte
Member # 94066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for princeofnothing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright. That makes sense. Now, just to be certain (I feel stupid, but I want a straight answer from somewhere), sperm will die, or at least be ineffective, just by being in water, right? And how long would that take? Because, again, I've heard many responses, such as sperm will live it water for a long time unless there is soap or something added to it.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope! Sperm will die. I don't have an exact number of minutes or seconds, but it's not long--not long at all. Plus, the sperm need the semen to travel, and once that is in the water it is, for lack of a better description, diluted.

I'm sorry you've been getting so many conflicting answers. The Internet is a fantastic place to get information, but misinformation also runs rampant.

The short answer is that if someone ejaculates while in the bath, they don't need to worry that the ejaculate in the bath water will impregnate anyone!

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
princeofnothing
Neophyte
Member # 94066

Alright! Thank you very much for the answer. And reading through this forum, I realize that my question is not so uncommon, which is comforting in some ways. Anyway, thanks!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.