Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Weird Pap Smears

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weird Pap Smears
paperclip
Neophyte
Member # 35683

Icon 5 posted      Profile for paperclip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, so basically I have been having my pap smears every year since I started being sexually active at sixteen. Im twenty now, and since I have my pap smear with my yearly physical every may, LAST may's pap smear concluded that the smear did not gather enough cells, so I had to wait six months for the cells to regrow. I got the retest done this December, and now I've just been told that I have the same results again, that there weren't enough cells gathered.

The first time it happened my doctor told me it was completely normal and happened all the time, but now after it happening twice in a row, I'm pretty freaked out about it. I've researched it on the internet, and some suggested that it may be the fault of the person administering the pap test, in that case, do you think I should go to a special OB GYN to get my next test Because my regular doctor is the one who performs them on me yearly.

Any advice would be wonderful, thanks a tonne! [Smile]

Posts: 20 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My best bet is that this isn't about something being wrong with you, but about a lack of proficiency on the part of your healthcare provider with doing paps.

So, given this pattern, I would suggest seeking out this healthcare specifically from an OB/GYN or a sexual/reproductive health clinic rather than this specific doctor.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paperclip
Neophyte
Member # 35683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paperclip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Heather I think you may be right-- do you think it is necessary to wait the whole six months or would three be enough in this case (also have read this online.)

Also, how would I now go about getting an OB GYN, through referral from my regular doctor? Do I just tell her she sucks at giving paps- LOL...

Thanks!

Posts: 20 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I don't see any reason to wait at all if you don't want to.

Yes, your general physical is the person to ask for a referral. Since I agree, it'll be more than a little awkward to state the reason so plainly, perhaps you might try to just say that you want a few things from an OB/GYN you'd feel more comfortable seeking from one.

Alternately, you may be able to use a clinic for this, sans referral. I don't know where you are in Canada, but if you're in or near any of the major cities, all of them have sexual health clinics.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paperclip
Neophyte
Member # 35683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paperclip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't want to wait at all, you're right about that for sure. The thing is don't I not have a choice about it? Or is it possible for me to just re do the pap with an OB GYN.

I'm in the Toronto area, so if I just searched for a clinic and went there, what would I say to them exactly?

Heather
Member # 3

That you need a pap smear and anything else you might want done there. You can mention the trouble you've been having with your GP and paps if you like, but you don't have to.

I think you shouldn't experience any limitations with this at this point.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

paperclip
Neophyte
Member # 35683

If I went to one right away to get it done, would it turn out there would not be enough cells again because I didn't wait long enough, or does it not matter?
Heather
Member # 3

Not having dealt with an error like this with someone twice in a row, I can't be sure, but I doubt it'd be an issue. But you could save yourself a wasted trip just by calling and asking the clinic first. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

thumb tack
Peer Ambassador
Member # 60502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thumb tack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey paper clip,

the same thing happened to me... twice in a row. I changed doctor and the problem was solved [Smile]

The new doctor I went to did tell me it was better to wait (3months I think) to give time for the cells to regenerate.

Posts: 126 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paperclip
Neophyte
Member # 35683

Thanks for the advice Heather I'll be sure to do that tomorrow morning [Smile]

And thumb tack, really? That actually makes me feel a lot better cuz I was thinking does this ever happen to anyone else!?? After you changed doctors was everything back to normal??

Hahaa and our names made me laugh, thumb tack, and paper clip...LOL... [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

Heck, maybe the two of you had the same doctor.

Stranger things have certainly happened like...you know, an online conversation between two office supplies. [Razz]

[ 01-11-2012, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

thumb tack
Peer Ambassador
Member # 60502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thumb tack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
haha, I was going to make an office supply joke (I tried paperclip, but it was taken!)

yup, really. I never met anyone else who had to inconclusive ones in a row. I've been having regular pap tests ever since, and no problems!

Posts: 126 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.