Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » birth control problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control problem
Sexkitten91
Neophyte
Member # 81801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sexkitten91     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello I have a problem with my birth control selection... I can't be on birth control pills because they raise my cholesterol... I believe, I think its too dangerous, I have been on it for over a year but yeah

I can't get an Iud even tho I want too because I haven't had a child yet and I'm afraid it'll make a hole in my uterus so then I cannot have children

And the ring releases hormones into the blood just like pill I'm sure is the exact same thing

And I'm afraid condoms alone cannot be enough?I mean with withdrawl too,can you get pregnant w.o the condom breaking? And stuff? Idk please help

Posts: 35 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so I understand: You've been on the birth control pill for over a year but your doctor says you need to stop taking it because it's causing you health problems. Am I understanding that correctly? Have you and your doctor discussed other birth control methods based on your individual needs and concerns?

IUDs are not an impossibility for women who haven't had children. Many providers are cautious because insertion and wearing can be more uncomfortable, and there's a greater chance that the body will expel the IUD. It's worth asking your health care provider if it is an option for you.

Here's more info on IUDs:
Intrauterine Devices (IUD, IUC or IUS)

Condoms are very effective in preventing pregnancy when used as directed. They can also prevent or reduce the risk of STI transmission.

You can read more about condoms here:
Condoms

It is pretty unlikely that you could get pregnant if the condom didn't break. IN other words, if there was a problem with the condom that reduced it's effectiveness (such as it breaking, or slipping) you would very likely know about it. Condoms can also be combined with other methods, such as withdrawal, or spermicide, to increase their effectiveness.

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sexkitten91
Neophyte
Member # 81801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sexkitten91     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah my doctor wants me off the pill and the iud isn't a good idea because I'm afraid of it so yeah and ok thank you for the articles
Posts: 35 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotcha...so condoms are definitely a good option for you. Was it helpful to read more about them?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.