Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » When To Take Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When To Take Pill
MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarilynSexy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont want to ruin my cycle, so do I start the pill the Sunday AFTER my birth control finnishes or the Sunday my period starts, I don't remember what my Gyno said
Posts: 58 | From: LA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you call your gyno's office when it opens tomorrow and ask to speak to the nurse or doctor? That way you'll get the information they want you to have and that is most suitable to your individual situation.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarilynSexy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK and one more question is there a necessity to use a condom with paragard? I heard its like sterilzation very rare to get pregnant with and iud in there, and I heard mirena can cause infertility can paragard do that
Posts: 58 | From: LA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IUDs have 98%-99% effectiveness rates for preventing pregnancy. These are pretty darn high. WE have no information about the Mirena IUD leading to infertility after it has been removed. Here's more info on IUDs.

Intrauterine Devices (IUD, IUC or IUS)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

they don't advise it for women who haven't had children yet, at least one, I don't know... Its the best form of birth control tho, in my opinon, essp since my insurance isn't paying for my pill anymore and I don't want another pill nor do I really want hormones and I don't trust or like condoms
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're interesting in trying an IUD, it would be worth talking to your doctor about it. From the article linked above:

quote:
If you have never been pregnant before -- whether you had a child or terminated a pregnancy -- your healthcare provider may not advise an IUD because the size of your uterus is may make insertion or wear more uncomfortable, and can put you at a higher risk of your body expelling the device. Those issues don't really present dangers, just discomfort or pain, or the inconvenience of paying a lot for a method only to have it not work for you, or to have to pay for it again and have it inserted again if it expels. Not having been pregnant before also does not mean you can't have an IUD or it isn't safe for you to have an IUD. Some providers also will not advise an IUD for women with high risks of STIs.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

Yeah I read that [Frown]
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that! I completely spaced out and meant to highlight that despite that, women who have never been pregnant can definitely still use an IUD and it's not unsafe. It's up to you and your doctor to discuss whether it would be a good option while considering your medical history but it's certainly doable.

[ 01-05-2012, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: -Firefly- ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

Yeah but if there is a chance that I can nver have a baby again or be pregnant (because it wiill expel because it doesn't fit well) its like pointless
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IUD doesn't cause infertility... If you are interested in it you could talk to your doctor about it and see if they would recommend it.

Also if it expels Its not like you wouldn't notice it until you were pregnant... You can feel the IUD coming out.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.