Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Ovulation Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ovulation Question
MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarilynSexy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I opened a new thread because I have a question, I posted earlier this week about period issues, I'm just mentioning that, anyway I did get my period but yeah I was on my inactive pills, I basically perfectly finished my last cycle of birth control, would I be ovulating now, its my 3rd day off the pill, If not now then when will I ovulate, thank you

Posts: 58 | From: LA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you saying you stopped taking birth control pills altogether?

If so, no one can predict when you'll ovulate. It'll likely take a few months at least for your cycle to get regular again, and after that, you can chart your fertility to find out when you typically ovulate if you want. But until at least a few months have passed, you should figure there's just not telling when you might at all.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarilynSexy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I'm Done AlTogether, So If I Have Sex Now, I Can't Get Pregnant? I Have Been On The Pill For A Year & A Half & I Never Missed A Pill, I'm Not Likely To Ovulate Real Soon Because Ive Been On For A While Right?
Posts: 58 | From: LA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that is SO not something you should assume. You can get pregnant at any time, and without using some method of contraception, especially as a young person, that's pretty likely. It's not that you will NOT ovulate soon, but that when it will happen timing-wise is a question mark.

And no: being on the pill for a while then stopping doesn't mean you're not likely to ovulate again soon at all especially, again, since you're not in your 30s or 40s.

If you do not want to become pregnant, it would be really unwise to use no method at all or think the method you used to take will offer you protection once you've stopped.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

So If A Small Bit Of Ejaculate Got On My Vaginal Opening From Behind When My Legs Were Closed And I Washed It Off Quickly Id Be In Danger Of Pregnancy? I Mean Real Small Like A Drop Splashed There
Heather
Member # 3

If your legs were closed, nothing could get unto your vaginal opening in the first place.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

They Werent Closed Shut, I Was Standing But My Vaginal Lips Werent Open They Were Closed Together, Like Normal, My Thighs Were Touching So There Were Closed, Everything Is Good Right, Safe? I Have Nothing To Worry About My Lips R Touching So The Opening Wasnt Open Like If I Was Laying Down & Spread, You Made Me Feel So Much Calmer Already I Hope Everythings Perfect But Ill Wait Till You Respond Again Thank You So Much
Heather
Member # 3

Seriously, if your thighs were closed, ejaculate isn't going to get in there. It doesn't have superpowers.

But it sounds like you and your partner need to talk about what you're going to do about contraception now that you're off the pill, okay?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

I Also Wanted To Add That To Wash It Off I Quickly Sat In The Bath, That Kind Of Opens My Lips A Bit
Heather
Member # 3

Again, it can't just crawl it's way there and it doesn't have scuba gear to hang out in the bathtub to creep into your vagina. I promise. [Smile]

(However, I appreciate the image of sperm wearing scuba gear: just brightened my day considerably.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

LOLOL [Smile] Glad To Have Helped Brighten Your Day, Thank You SO Much For Your Help I Was So Afraid My Bf Wasnt He Said There Is Gravity And You Were Standing Its Fine, But I Will Def Be Going On An IUD Now, Thank You So Much! Thank God My Lips Were Closed Lol
Heather
Member # 3

Gravity is a powerful thing, but it isn't going to pull fluid forcefully like that. Also, if your boyfriend is so concerned, maybe he can step it up and put a condom on? Especially while you're without that IUD that's on the horizon? [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

Although My Thighs Might Have Not Been Touching... Hmm But I'm Sure I'm Fine Haha, I'm Just Really Paranoid, I Miss The Feeling Of Peace
Heather
Member # 3

Again, then, how about asking your partner to SHARE this responsibility with you?

Condoms are easy-peasy compared to a pill or IUD. It's really a very small thing to ask, and something he can make a big difference with when it comes to your peace of mind.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

We Werent Having IntercourseThats Why He Wasnt Wearing A Condom
Heather
Member # 3

Yeah, but sounds like you were doing something that made you feel uneasy about pregnancy and where we was ejaculating near your genitals.

So, now you can tell him that with something like that, it'd be rad if he wore a condom to spare you this kind of stress.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

Yeah Your 100% Right, I'm Avoiding Intercourse Because I Dont Trust Condoms Alone But We Both Want To Have Intercourse I Can't Get The IUD For A Couple Months, So He Suggested The Idea Of Condom And Emergency Contraception Pill, But I Heard That You Can Get Really Sick Using The EC, And My Friend Used It And She Ended Up Having An Etopic Preg, So I'm Curious If This Is A Good Idea And Not For Multiple Tries Just Once Till I Get The IUD, Is It Safe
Heather
Member # 3

The idea that EC makes people really sick is a myth. You've been using the birth control pill for an age: the morning after pill is a lot like it, it just only has one of the hormones in your pills, not both, and is a stronger dose. Most people who take it feel just fine.

It also is not associated with ectopic pregnancy. Your friend's ectopic likely had nothing to do with using EC.

However, using it as ongoing contraception would be very expensive, so that's not likely a good choice for a few months by that merit alone. To boot, condoms alone are more effective than EC.

If you want a good combination of two methods to tide you over until your IUD, how about condoms + a spermicide or condoms + withdrawal, or condoms + a contraceptive sponge? All of those are non-hormonal methods. You also could ask your healthcare provider about a depo shot to tide you over, if you wanted something highly effective for just a few months you didn't have to worry about.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

Yeah I Was Thinking About Depo But It Gets Rid Of Ur Period And As U See How Crazy I Get, I Need That Withdrawl Bleed Every Month, But Im Thinking Maybe Condom, Spermicide And Withdrawl? I Ussually Use BC, Condom And Withdrawl. Its Nice To Know EC Won't Get Me Sick If I Ever Do Need It, I Hope I Never Do Tho Lol
Heather
Member # 3

You're likely to have wonky cycles for a few months no matter what because you've just gone off the pill. Plus if you're going to get a Mirena IUD, your periods may also happen less frequently. To boot, Depo doesn't get rid of everyone's periods, just like the Mirena IUD doesn't. Both can have that side effect for some users, but not others.

Really, three methods is probably going so far that if that feels needed, your better answer is two you feel better about or just taking a break from intercourse or other activities you feel worried about until you get your IUD.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

If My Period Is Going To Be Wonky How Would I Know I'm Not Pregnant?

& Do You Really Think Thats Bad? Using 3 Methods? I Just Rather It If Any Of Them Fail I Have Extras Just Incase

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll know you're not pregnat if you use birth control that has a very high effectiveness rate (such as condom and spermicide or condom and withdrawal). If those methods should fail (that is, if the condom should break) you have the option of using emergency contraception. You know right now that you're not pregnant because the situation you've described didn't pose a risk (remember the sperm don't have scuba suits!)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, if you do happen to pick a method that makes your periods irregular or go away altogether, you can always take a pregnancy test every month to know.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 870 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and it's not about the idea that using three methods is bad, but that if you have to try that hard, and if the fear of pregnancy risk is so stressful to you, that perhaps that's a sign to you that you'd feel better engaging in sexual activities that don't have a pregnancy risk---at least until you get your IUD. Does that make sense? Remember, sex is supposed to be fun and pleasurable, not stress-inducing.

It's also okay to not do certain activities, even if you and your boyfriend have already been doing them. There's no rule that says you have to keep doing anything once you start doing it.

What do you think of this?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

Yeah Your Right, Thank You, If I Have Anymore Questions Ill Come Back To This Post, I'm Just Glad That I Can't Be Pregnant Now, Thank God I Was Standing So The Ejaculate Couldn't Go In My Opening =) Standing Is Good Birth Control Lol Keeps The Lips Touching Lol
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

and as Heather mentioned before, if there's ejaculate involved in your sex activities, you and your boyfriend can always use a condom.

--------------------
Robin

MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

Yeah, OK, Thank You, Most Imp Thing Is That I Can't Be Pregnant At This Point [Smile]
MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

I Do Have A Question Tho, Say I Was Just Standing Normally And He Completely Ejaculated Where My Vaginal Opening Is Would There Be A Risk? There Wouldnt Because The Lips Cover The Opening Right
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

As we've said, sperm don't just get up and walk around, but to my knowledge no one has ever tested to see if that scenario would or would not result in pregnancy.

Your best bet for pregnancy prevention is to use birth control, whether that means that you use the IUD or your other chosen form, or that a barrier method (condom) is used to make sure that semen does not come in contact with your genitals.

--------------------
Robin

MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

Yeah Thank God They Werent Open Lol, I Do Have A Question, Is Brown Spotting Normal After Getting Off The Pill
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Your body will go through a whole bunch of changes after getting off the Pill.

As with anything, if the brown spotting continues for a long period of time check in with your doctor, but for now it's nothing to worry about.

--------------------
Robin

MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

say its spotting, If i go to wipe some will come up on the toilet paper, a bit right, like reminencst, bcuz i think that its jus a spot on my panties that never washed out

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.