Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » oral sex (BJ's N eating out) questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: oral sex (BJ's N eating out) questions
wonderstruckkittykat
Neophyte
Member # 93256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wonderstruckkittykat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why is using a condom recommended when giving/receiving oral sex?

i know you can get STD's and So On.
i've never used one with my boyfriend whether im giving him a blow job or if he's eating me out.
wee KNOW wee dont have STD's, STI's or anything.

and why dont people use condoms when preforming oral sex?

Posts: 6 | From: Panama | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you and your boyfriend have both recently been tested for STIs and both had negative results? And neither of you have had partners in at least six months SINCE your last test besides each other?

Why do I ask that? Because that's how we can know if we have them or not, though testing. (The exception here is that with a partner who has a penis, there is no HPV test for them yet, so that one you just can't know).

Condoms are advised for oral sex because of STI risks. Why don't some people use them? Well, a lot of people don't know oral sex poses STI risks, for one, or think that they're fine without knowing what they'd need to do to know their risks are reduced. Other people are afraid to ask a partner to use condoms, with oral sex or other kinds of sex, or don't feel confident enough to do that.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nellawafer0619
Neophyte
Member # 95178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nellawafer0619     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if i have never given a blow job and my boyfriend has never given one will i still be at risk for an sti?
Posts: 5 | From: florida | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If neither of you has ever engaged in any sexual activity with anyone else, then you can be reasonably sure that you don't have any STIs. But some STIs can also be transmitted via non-sexual means, so there is no way to know for certain unless you both get tested.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nellawafer0619
Neophyte
Member # 95178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nellawafer0619     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so say i give my boyfriend a blowjob right? and hes never gotten one so has nothing and ive never given one and have nothing i can't get anything? Also if im not vaccinated for HPV then am i at risk for anything?
Posts: 5 | From: florida | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I stated, the risk is very low if neither of you has ever engaged in any sexual activity before, but it is not non-existent. If you want to be on the safe side, you'll want to get tested before you go without protection.

And it is an excellent idea to talk to your doctor about getting the HPV vaccine.

[ 03-08-2012, 02:45 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nellawafer0619
Neophyte
Member # 95178

ok yea we were both tested and nothing is wrong but like i cant get the hpv vaccine right now so if i dont have that but neither of us has any stds then its ok?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing with these choices is that they're yours: yours and your partners. How much or how little risk when it comes to infections and other health issues people take is up to them.

If you have both been tested for all the STIs you can be tested for with negative results, or have both never had any kind of genital/sexual contact with others, have been sexually exclusive for at least six months before then AND are staying that way, then the STI risks are usually very small. In that situation, some people will be comfortable going without the use of barriers, others won't. What's okay is about what both of you feel okay with.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nellawafer0619
Neophyte
Member # 95178

what are the risks? like would it only be for me? (me being the girl) considering everything up there that none of us are sexually active for the past six months, have been tested and nothings wrong and have never been sexually active. Would the oral sex risks be just for me?
Heather
Member # 3

The infection risks are higher for you, but there are still some for him. And since men can't get tested for HPV yet, given everything else, it seems like that's probably the only infection for you to be at a risk of here.

So, again, these choices are yours. Personally, my advice is to use safer sex when you can, and if and when it seems like using a condom would be the worst thing in the world, that can usually be a sign someone's not educated about them well or that something isn't so great in a relationship or situation, like that people feel unable to set limits or communicate about the not-as-sexy parts of sex, etc.

But again, this is a call for the both of you to make.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

nellawafer0619
Neophyte
Member # 95178

ok thank you so much

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.