Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Bruising?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bruising?
LifeEnColor
Activist
Member # 51950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LifeEnColor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my boyfriend and I both got back to college about two weeks ago. We hadn't seen each other in over a month. We had intercourse quite a few times and after a few days, I was too sore for intercourse. I let myself get caught up and continued to have vaginal intercourse even when I was sore, but I did finally say enough was enough and took a week long break.

Is it possible to get bruising inside the vagina? I noticed the pain was centered further in and near my stomach. It was sore for about four days and when we tried intercourse again, it wasn't painful during, but afterwards I was sore again in the same area. I've told my boyfriend about this, and we've had much less vaginal intercourse, sticking to manual or oral and only gentle/slow vaginal intercourse when we try. Should I be concerned about this soreness? I think it's totally gone now, but it was definitely uncomfortable for a while.

Posts: 112 | From: Upperstate NY | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is: of the cervix or of the vaginal walls themselves, and certainly all around the vulva.

Per usual, when something hurts, we can be pretty sure we're being hurt. In other words, it was feeling sore and painful, which was your body's way of telling you to stop or chill the heck out. When that happens, and we don't heed those calls, we'll often get injured in some way.

But, now you know. If the soreness has passed, it's not likely anything to worry about, save trying to make choices in the future that honor what your body is telling you a bit better.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LifeEnColor
Activist
Member # 51950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LifeEnColor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the info, I really wasn't sure it was possible for the vagina and/or cervix to be bruised.

Is there anyway to prevent bruising in the future? This hasn't happened before with us so I was confused when it did. Could it have possibly been because I wasn't used to intercourse after over a month long dry spell?

I'm definitely going to listen to my body better from now on. I don't want to be uncomfortable or in pain for any amount of time for a bit of pleasure.

Posts: 112 | From: Upperstate NY | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, it's about -- again -- listening to your body. When something hurts, already feels sore or just doesn't feel good, then that's not what you do or do anymore. Or, if you do want to do that thing, you try making an adjustment, like, say, adding more lube or changing a position, and see if that helps. If not, then again, time to just do something else or choose to suffer the consequences, as it were.

There's really no "used to intercourse" like that when it comes to our physical bodies. It's not like running a marathon or anything (well, maybe in this case for you it was! [Razz] ) we can really be in condition for or not in any kind of static, rather than situational, way.

[ 09-07-2011, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LifeEnColor:

Is there anyway to prevent bruising in the future? This hasn't happened before with us so I was confused when it did. Could it have possibly been because I wasn't used to intercourse after over a month long dry spell?

If I were to offer an opinion (and I am going to), I'd say that the dry spell just made you and your partner really happy to see each other again.

Endorphins (like the ones swimming through our systems when we're seriously horny) can cause us to temporarily not notice pain. Or to notice, but not mind, or not care, so long as we're still in the moment. You do pay for these moments afterwards, no matter what the endorphins were from.

So long as the soreness goes away, I wouldn't worry about it, just take it easy and give yourself a little recovery time. If it sticks around, you should get it checked out.

You should also know that there's a condition referred to as Honeymoon Urethritis - UTIs caused or aggravated by sexual activity. (Doctors sometimes have terrible senses of humor.) If you have symptoms of a UTI, get it treated, and absolutely no fooling, take a break on intercourse until you're better, because UTIs that get to your kidneys can make you seriously ill.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.