Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Am I developing correctly??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I developing correctly??
jazzygirl111
Neophyte
Member # 73560

Icon 9 posted      Profile for jazzygirl111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Scarleteen,

I turned 13 recently, but it has been becoming more and more obvious that i am a lot "smaller" than my friends.

I started "budding", i think it's called that, at around eleven. My mother is a C-cup, and my (paternal) grandmother is a D/DD cup.

I, on the other hand, have measured in to a mere 34" around the chest, and I'm 29" below my breasts. I checked and this means that I don't even qualify for a AA bra. I wear half-camisole kind of thing, but not really for support, more to make sure you can't see through my top. Do you think I am developing properly?

My friends are quite a bit bigger. Most are B cups, some are bigger. Of course there are some A cups, but barely any are as small as me. I've been reading online too, and most people say that they are C and D cups!! What is the modal size for my age? Am I smaller than the average?

How big do you think I will get? I know you can never be sure, but looking at my relatives, age and current size, what would you think?

jazzygirl

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We really can't begin to guess what your growth will look like. You're still quite early in the process of puberty, so there are lots of changes that your body is still going to be making. If you're concerned about where you are right now, your best bet is to speak with your health care provider.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't a "correct" or "ideal" or "expected" breast size for anyone of any age, just like there isn't a correct, ideal or expected height. People come in different shapes and sizes. Any shape and size at which you feel physically good is a good shape and size.

Some girls start puberty earlier than others, some grow at a consistent pace until they're done, some grow in fits and starts, some seem to develop all at once, overnight. There's no saying what your growth pattern will be like, or what the ultimate results will be.

Although, I promise you, no matter what your breast size is, there will be people whose breasts you envy, and people who envy yours.

(Although I don't think your measurements can be quite right? I am about 30 inches around just under my breasts, and 35 inches at the widest point of my breasts - the same five inch difference that you're reporting - and coping with this requires some very sturdy undergarments. At least, for me it does. If your breasts hurt, or are making you uncomfortable, take the measurements again and try on some bras, because good ones really do help.)

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzygirl111
Neophyte
Member # 73560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jazzygirl111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you added the extra five inches from under your breasts? I didn't, which is why when you add 5" it adds up to 34". That is the same as my chest measurement, which means I'm not even an AA. Compared to other girls, do you think I am smaller than most girls my age?? I know that there are average sizes for cups, the same as the average heights.

Do you think that any boys will like me, if I have such a small bust? There are some people in my class that are Ds, wouldn't you think they would be asked out first?? My mother is always telling me that I look very immature for my age, and I should be happy that I look young. But I don't...

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would you really want to go out with someone who wanted to go out with you because of your boobs? Seriously? Just think about it.

That said, there is no one body type all boys, or all-anyone, likes or prefers or finds appealing. Tastes vary. As well, people with the maturity to have relationships of quality, even early in life, don't tend to choose who to have them with based on looks alone, something hopefully true for your friends with bigger breasts and true for you with smaller breasts.

Having D-cup breasts is NOT an average at any age, just so you know. The average adult woman's natural breast is a C-cup, last I checked. And at 13, most people with breasts are not going to be finishing their breast development, they're still going to be just starting it or in the middle of it. But there is no "average" measurement for breast size, just like penis size, for people in puberty, for the most part. That's mostly because during that process, people are ALL over the map, far, far more so than in adulthood. So, even if we had that average, it wouldn't be of much value.

Can I suggest you talk to your Mom about how you're feeling about this again? It sounds like she might not be getting how worried you're feeling about this (based on her responses), and I bet that if you made that clear, she'd want to be a support for you here and help you out with this. You could also ask her to arrange a visit with your doctor who could talk to you about your development, too, something I think might really help you out.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather has said the same things I would say.

I'll also add, I can see your mom's perspective that you're lucky to look younger than you are. Breast development is kind of a mixed blessing. Girls who develop earlier, and look more adult at a younger age, are more likely to be treated as though they are actually older, and given responsibilities and pressured to do things that they aren't necessarily ready for.

I can also see your perspective, and your concern about whether all this is happening the way it's supposed to. It's not an unreasonable concern, but your mom may be coming at the issue from such a totally different angle that she hasn't thought of it.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artsy-craftsy
Neophyte
Member # 61094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artsy-craftsy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little late on this, but I can totally relate to your situation.
I'm 15 years old at the moment, and I don't really know what my measurements are off the top of my head. I started "budding" when I was about 11, but they've barely grown since then (maybe because I've struggled with staying at a healthy weight after that time). I barely fit into a 34A, but my ribcage is too big around for a 32A. Of course I want my boobs to be bigger! I know that I probably have some lucious C-cups to look forward to since my mother is a C. But She didn't get those Cs until her later teens/early 20s. So I know that it's pretty much normal for me to be almost flat-chested right now because they'll grow in soon. You're developing totally normal!

Posts: 11 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emrose91
Neophyte
Member # 71289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emrose91     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you think that any boys will like me, if I have such a small bust? There are some people in my class that are Ds, wouldn't you think they would be asked out first??
Here's a question for you: do you only like boys who have started growing facial hair? Do you think a boy's attractiveness depends on their ability to grow a beard?

Try giving those guys in your class a little more credit. They're probably not that shallow. [Big Grin]

I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like you're doing fine. I was a slow grower, too. I'm 20 now, and wear a B cup. No, that's not very big, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. You don't have to let your identity as a person and as a woman depend on your bust size. If you are concerned, though, then talk to a physician.

[ 08-23-2011, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: emrose91 ]

--------------------
"Love is blind. God is love. Therefore, Ray Charles must be God." - Graffiti

Posts: 18 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzygirl111
Neophyte
Member # 73560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jazzygirl111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I would not care if a boy in my class had facial hair (partly because I think it's gross, but anyways).

Although I would not be interested in a boy who doesn't like me because I am flat, I would like them to be physically attracted to me, as well as liking me, and I think that bigger breasts would help that. What do you think?

Is there anything I can do to increase my breast size? Would muscular excercises work? Or would that just reduce the fat, and make me look smaller??

jazzygirl

emrose91
Neophyte
Member # 71289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emrose91     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think the answer to your first question is yes and no. You could pretty much ask that question about any aspect of your appearance (what if I had blue eyes, red hair, was 3 inches taller, a different ethnicity, etc, etc) and get the same answer, because everyone has different preferences.

IMO, I say if a guy is going to write you off because you don't wear the right bra cup, **** them!

Not sure about the muscular exercises. Just be patient! You have way more puberty to look forward to. [Razz]

--------------------

Posts: 18 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzygirl111
Neophyte
Member # 73560

Thank you for your message.

Umm.. I have some questions.

First of all, what does IMO mean?
Second of all what do you mean by "**** them"?

Sorry, if it's really obvious!

emrose91
Neophyte
Member # 71289

No problem.

IMO = in my opinion
**** = your favorite expletive (curse word) [Big Grin]

--------------------

emrose91
Neophyte
Member # 71289

And also, jazzygirl, I really hope you don't think I'm just blowing you off by saying you just need to be patient, and it's no big deal, etc. I TOTALLY understand your concerns.
I think we all go through those frustrations about that "one thing" we wish we could change, especially during puberty. For me, the breast size issue just wasn't as big of a deal.
Truly, the best thing you can do is give your body time to adjust to the changes that are happening to you.
Trust me. Seven years from now, you'll be flipping through your yearbook/photo album thinking "Wow! We all looked so young!"

--------------------

Michelle Ravel
Activist
Member # 21100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle Ravel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of things to add:

Don't focus too much on cup size. Since cup size is relative to band size, a "C" cup can mean lots of different sizes of breast.

But anyway, I had small breasts! It was awesome. Trust me, guys do not care. They usually like boobs of all sizes. In fact, you will find lots of guys who like small-breasted women in particular. Anyway, because my body never changed that much in puberty, I had an easy time of it and always had a great body image. My body didn't pull that many surprises on me.

Now I'm pregnant, I went up THREE cup sizes, and the changes in my body are kind of freaking me out. I miss my small breasts--I really do.

So enjoy.

Posts: 51 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.