Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Shouldn't rate of failure for perfect withdrawal be lower?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shouldn't rate of failure for perfect withdrawal be lower?
RandomPerson123
Neophyte
Member # 74857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RandomPerson123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to this page:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/how_could_she_become_pregnant_when_i_withdraw_perfectly",

the rate of withdrawal for perfect use is 4%. However, on that website, it says that the 4% who do get pregnant can include men that did not know they did ejaculate. In addition to that, according to this website:

http://www.pinkpleasureplace.com/birth-control/the-myth-of-pre-ejaculate-or-precum

all the way at the bottom, it says there is a 0.0025% of getting pregnant from pre-cum. In one year, couples have sex about 112 times. Since 4% pregnant for withdrawal is measured for a year, 112x0.000025=0.0028, about 0.003 percent. Based on everything above, if every single person who was sampled for the perfect withdrawal survey knew for sure they did NOT ejaculate inside the vagina, wouldn't the actual percentage be about 0.003?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you did that multiplication, you didn't shift the decimal point to the right to get the resulting percentage. .3%, not .003%.

That isn't terribly important though, because you started with the annual rate in the first place. The .0025% rate of pregnancy resulting from pre-cum is a per-year rate, not per-incident, so there's no need to multiply it out by a hypothetical number of times that a couple has sex in a year.

Per-incident rates are completely unhelpful for thinking about risk of pregnancy. You are not reducing your pregnancy risk by only having sex once, or once in a while.

If I had to guess, I'd say that those men who didn't realize they ejaculated were likely to feel sure that they didn't, so they'd report themselves in the "absolutely certain I didn't ejaculate" group.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RandomPerson123
Neophyte
Member # 74857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RandomPerson123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha, thanks, total fail for calculation
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.