Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » A problem with my libido...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A problem with my libido...
Member # 72069

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Frostylight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem with my libido: it's practically nonexistent. For some background, I have no sexual experience save for a few masturbatory explorations, which proved to naturally be quite pleasurable.

For some reason, in the past few months, I haven't been able to orgasm; I try to masturbate, but I end up getting frustrated and stop. My old fantasies no longer work. I've stopped trying to force it.

It's been a long while since I've felt good and properly horny; I only seem to feel horny when Im on my period, and then I can't really do anything about it. Is there something wrong with me? Is this normal? It's rather worrying me...

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our libido is not always constant, but it can come and go over the course of our lifetime. Sometimes there is a reason for that (increased stress, medication, big life changes, etc), sometimes there isn't.

Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 29754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johann7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, as far as I know, there's nothing harmful about masturbating while menstruating (your own blood is not going to be harmful to you, and some women I know say it helps relieve their menstrual cramping). If your concern is about staining bedsheets, carpeting, furniture coverings, etc., you might consider masturbating on the toilet or in the shower, if that works for you, or positioning yourself over something easily washable and absorbent, like a towel, if you do wish to masturbate while you're feeling horny during your period.

As September said, libidos can change over time, sometimes with an identifiable cause, and sometimes not. There's no rule that says that anyone has to want sex at any particular time or with any particular frequency (or if there is, it's a bad rule). If you feel like it's becoming a big problem for you, you might want to see a doctor and get checked for medical conditions that can cause lower-than-is-normal-for-you testosterone levels, as this can sometimes cause a loss of libido, but honestly, I don't think you need to worry, as fluctuations in libido are perfectly normal.

Robble Robble Robble!

Posts: 46 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 72069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frostylight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Johann7, the very reason I am worried about masturbating while menstruating is that I'm afraid it might hurt, since I already have pretty bad cramps...

Thank you for your replies!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Masturbation usually helps with menstrual cramps, rather than making them worse. All the more so when someone reaches orgasm, but even when that doesn't happen, it usually tends to help.

So, why not give that a shot? It sounds like that is when you most want to, and you might wind up finding a very pleasant way to ease your menstrual symptoms, to boot!

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.