Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Monogamous Relationship STDs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Monogamous Relationship STDs
heyeverbody
Neophyte
Member # 71247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heyeverbody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! So I've been in a monogamous relationship for about 2 years, and my boyfriend has been tested twice. I'm on birth control. Is it fine to have sex/oral etc without protection? That is to say, is it possible, when I am sure that he hasn't had sex with anyone else and neither have I, and he has two clean tests, that one of us randomly gets an STD? My doctor told me you could get throat cancer for having a guy cum in your mouth but that doesn't make much sense to me...is she right? Sorry if this is a dumb question!
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heyeverbody
Neophyte
Member # 71247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heyeverbody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Extra info: I've never been tested. But I've only had sex with guys that have been tested and virgins can't have STDs unless their parents did right? And my parents have never mentioned anything.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you remember what exactly your doctor told you? Because swallowing ejaculate really doesn't pose any health risks, and it certainly can't cause cancer.

As for STIs: the only way you can know for sure whether you're clear is if you get tested. There are STIs that can also be transmitted via non-sexual contact, and there are STIs (such as HPV) that cannot be tested for in men. So even if you have only had sex with partners who have been tested, you'll still also want to get tested yourself.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loststone
Activist
Member # 51804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loststone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With regard to swallowing ejaculate causing throat cancer, I believe the strain(s) of HPV which can cause cervical cancer can also cause throat/mouth cancer if transmitted via oral sex. And since HPV cannot be tested for in men, that can be a concern.

(Volunteers, is that correct? I'm pretty sure that's what I was told when I got my HPV vaccine, but I could have remembered wrong)

Posts: 134 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, HPV has been linked to several mouth/throat cancers, BUT the link has not been conclusively proven.

Most mouth/throat cancers occur in people who smoke and/or chew tobacco and there aren't that many who get these cancers without those risk factors. With small numbers, studies are hard to confirm.

So, the gist of it is that HPV is highly unlikely to cause mouth/throat cancers compared to cervical cancer, but it might be possible. At least, that's the most current research I know of.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.