Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Pantiliners and when to wear them.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pantiliners and when to wear them.
aedmonton
Neophyte
Member # 70000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aedmonton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really can't say for certain that I have a heavy discharge because I don't know what's normal but what I can tell you is that there have been times since I first got my period like seven years ago or something that my discharge has seeped through my underwear and made a noticeable wet patch on my PANTS. It doesn't happen often though, because it is incredibly rare that I go out without wearing a very thin pantiliner for this reason.
But, I'm also aware it's unhealthy to wear pantiliners everyday.
So I'm looking for some help here. How on earth do you avoid the awkwardness of an accidental wet spot from your discharge without having to wear a pantiliner every day? I don't wear them at home, but out and about I can't really risk like, leaking everywhere, y'know? I need sure-fire methods to keep up a dry appearance, because "oh keep a change of underwear just in case" is not a proactive solution and therefore is not a solution at all.
Heeeeelp!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's unhealthy to wear pantiliners every day? Plenty of people do wear them that often, or things that cover more territory. I wouldn't wear tampons anything like that often, but external stuff... fine.

Honestly, in your situation, I would just figure out what kind are comfiest and where I could get them cheapest. I'd avoid the scented kind.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed; so long as you're not talking about using pantiliners with fragrance, or made out of materials that aren't so great for your genitals (like plastics), I've never heard anything to indicate that using liners daily is a health concern.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aedmonton
Neophyte
Member # 70000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aedmonton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was not helpful.

[ 07-04-2011, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: aedmonton ]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Want to give us some cues about what it didn't provide for you so we can try and be of more help?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aedmonton
Neophyte
Member # 70000

It's not about not providing anything. It's about pantiliners no matter how thin being unhealthy to wear daily, and it's about not wanting to have to wear them daily but still managing to feel safe from the kind of leakage that I've experienced before. Because I don't really like the idea of being a slave to these things for the next thirty, forty years. I thought I made that pretty clear.

[ 07-04-2011, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: aedmonton ]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pantiliners aren't unhealthy, as Captain Girl and Heather have said, but if you don't want to wear them every day, have you looked into something like Lunapanties? They're pretty much just underwear (in various styles) that have an extra layer of fabric sewn into the crotch to absorb fluid.

Also, if you've never checked in with a healthcare provider about the amount of discharge you normally have, that wouldn't hurt either. It might be that you have a bacterial imbalance going on that's causing more discharge than you'd normally have.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aedmonton
Neophyte
Member # 70000

Actually wearing them daily is unhealthy. It traps moisture and warmth exactly where you least want it and provides ideal conditions for fungal and bacterial growth.
My balance is fine and I've actually never had a problem with it yet. But that doesn't mean I want to continue with a habit that I don't want to have and that could potentially lead to an imbalance down the road.
Wearing pantiliners is exactly what I don't want to do - regardless of what they are made of. Lunapanties does not solve anything (so instead of being a slave to pantiliners I have to be a slave to ugly underwear? cool alternative) especially in my specific situation where laundry is done very infrequently for a number of personal reasons re: time, cost, availability.

Heather
Member # 3

My sense is that so long as the liner you're wearing is made of a breatheable, natural fiber, it's really not any different than say, wearing underpants and pants, versus only one of those things. I can double-check that with the couple GYNs I call on for consult if you'd like, though.

Given all you've voiced here about your preferences, how about considering a swap, then, to pants with a looser/lower crotch or to skirts?

(Who would usually find it inappropriate to talk about the underwear she's wearing, but since she just put on a pair of said ugly underwear, feels the need to mention it, with a reminder that while I can get over other people having feelings about my clothing pretty easily, let's do try to remember other folks might not feel as immune to those kinds of judgments. Cheers!)

[ 07-04-2011, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aedmonton, I have sometimes worn heavy duty pads every day for months at a time. When I was pregnant and concerned about bleeding, my doctor's first suggestion was pantiliners, daily. Higher tech pads and pantiliners wick moisture away from your skin, keeping you relatively dry even when the involved parts are wet. Unfortunately, this is why they sometimes chafe, but I find that damp or bloody blue jeans and pantyhose are far bigger problems than store-bought pads.

If you don't like the consumer-based solutions (i.e., "buy this! it'll help!"), you could make your own. It takes some practice and some trial and error to make panties that perfectly suit your tastes, but there are many knitters and sewers who do it. There's almost certainly a group dedicated to that project on Ravelry.com.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.