Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Anyone else ever experienced this with their period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone else ever experienced this with their period?
Kylia
Neophyte
Member # 54636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kylia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always had a relatively (in my eyes anyway) regular period since the beginning. During my early teens I had quite some problems, so I always reasoned that because of that it was sometimes late or skipped it once in a while. I frequently had unprotected sex back then, so you can imagine the heart attacks I suffered from regularly. However, with no clear cause to blame it on, I just figured it wasn't anything harmful and it was due to an hormonal imbalance, being a teen and all.

However, I am now 18 and since I've moved last summer I can count on one hand how many periods I've had. I wish I could blame it on stress, but I know from experience that this is not due to stress, despite the circumstances. The last period I've had was in January. After a month or two of waiting for it, as I became accustomed of doing, me and my SO got a pregnancy test, but it turned out negative. And so I waited again and tried to find information online of other people going through this as well, but couldn't find anything conclusive.
After my period had been absent for almost 5 months it suddenly began again, but has been going on for over a month now, for no apparent reason.

Now I know that everyone is going to tell me to go see the doctor, but I have no health insurance and over here it's illegal to be uninsured (I moved back to Holland last year). I've tried finding alternatives and I have been planning on becoming insured asap (I couldn't previously because of financial instability, but soon this will improve), but until then there is no way for me to find out what is going on.

So my question is, has anyone, or anyone they know, ever had this happen to their menstrual cycle before??

Posts: 10 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had times when I just didn't get periods - I was pretty badly underweight though.

The period going on for a month really needs to be checked out. What are the public health resources in Holland? If it's illegal to be uninsured, how do they make insurance available to everyone? You can't just make a law that says everyone must have insurance, you also have to have a law that makes getting insurance possible. This would be a good time to look up local clinics and see what you can find out.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kylia
Neophyte
Member # 54636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kylia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thing is that the government subsidizes health insurance but requires every person to get their own health insurance(with a smaller personal cost due to different packages with different coverage). The Dutch health insurance system isn't government owned, but entirely privatized, the only difference is that the government provides a subsidy per person to ensure everyone has insurance(and thus can demand everyone to get insured). That, including the fact that every person has to pay for the first 170 euro they receive in care, it's just not something I could have done earlier or right now.

I've tried informing about clinics, but there are only certain treatments that are available to those uninsured and legally residing here. Sadly none of those I can use to diagnose, let alone treat what I may or may not have. [Frown]
Trust me, it's the first thing I'm going to get checked once I'm insured, but right now I can only try to find solace in knowing other people have had this happen to them too and it's nothing (too) serious.

Posts: 10 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allstar717
Neophyte
Member # 69294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allstar717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question I am 15 and I've only ever had 3 full periods sometimes a just get it for a day. Is there something seriously wrong with me, should I contact a doctor, or am is my period still regulating?

--------------------
Kayla Vospi

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Hey Allstar 717, could you start a new thread for your question so we can keep everything organized? You can use the "new topic" button in the bottom left corner of the page. Thanks!)

Kylia, I would recommend that you see a doctor as soon as possible, although obviously that's not going to happen for you right away. One thing you do want to keep an eye out for though, is very heavy bleeding: completely soaking a tampon or pad in less than an hour is something to seek care for immediately (via a hospital emergency room if necessary). I know that's not quite the information you'd probably like, but there are several different things that can cause irregular and/or very lengthy periods, so unfortunately this is best looked into by a doctor.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kylia
Neophyte
Member # 54636

I've been trying to do some research myself on the internet (not self-diagnosing!) and out of everything Polycystic Ovary Syndrome seems to make the most sense [Frown] Other than the weird irregularity in in my cycle lately, I know my sister had it when she was a teen too and it has been linked to obestiy and diabetes, which is quite prevalent in both sides of the family.

It makes sense too, because just by being honest with myself, I know I had so many chances of getting pregnant in the past, there has to be something wrong with me never actually becoming pregnant.

Next part is again to ask anyone if they've had this happen to them again, but I apoligize if it's too graphic.

Just earlier I was bleeding heavily and as I was in the shower I noticed a huge bloodclot [Frown] It freaked me out because it was about an inch (3,5cm) in radius and circular. It explains the temporary heavy bleeding, but it really freaked me out. I've calmed myself down with researching and came to the 'conclusion' that it might just be all of the build up from 5 months without a period, but even that leaves me with so many more questions unanswered.

So please, has anyone ever had this before? And if they do, what would be the best thing to research next before I finally have the chance of being insured(will be within 3 months)?

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Kylia, I'm just about to go grab some lunch, but I'll be back very shortly to answer your question.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Ok, back. (And FYI, no need to worry about anything being too graphic here: we don't find anything gross about body parts or what they do. [Smile] )

So, what you likely saw wasn't a bloodclot - menstrual flow doesn't actually contain clots - but a piece of endometrial tissue (the lining of the uterus) that was a bit more solid. During a period, most of what you see isn't actually blood, but that uterine lining, which is sometimes a bit more solid, sometimes more liquid. And yes, sometimes there will be bits that are more solid and pretty significant in size. It can be a bit scary, but as long as you're not in any serious pain or bleeding very heavily, it's likely nothing to be concerned about. (And it isn't anything terribly uncommon.)

As for what to research next, to be honest, it's always good to be informed about your health, but it can only get you so far. At this point, you can inform yourself about the possibilities, but you probably also want to keep a diary of your cycles, any other symptoms, family history if you can get it, etc. All of those things will really help when you finally do get to see a doctor, because they'll ask you questions about all of it to help them make a proper diagnosis.

--------------------

Kylia
Neophyte
Member # 54636

Thanks for your response [Smile] I was thinking about keeping track of my body too, I usually do with my cycles already, but with the recent infrequency I've been lagging and don't know precise dates anymore. I have estimates and the number of periods, which hopefully will be enough to answer any questions a doctor might ask me.

And yeah, it was the uterine lining. I forgot to use the term, blood clots are something completely different! My bad. Right now I'm not as worried about it anymore, but more about what the cause might be. Hopefully I'll be able to find out soon.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

You're very welcome. [Smile] I so hope you're able to get insurance and some medical care soon!

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.