Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Difference between cum & orgasm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Difference between cum & orgasm
xxKristii17
Activist
Member # 62155

Icon 5 posted      Profile for xxKristii17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the title says, I want to know the difference.

I always thought that (female) cum and orgasm were the same, but I am having a small debate on if with my girlfriend who says cum is right before you orgasm.

I know an orgasm is the peak of sexual pleasure followed by muscle contractions and/or other experiences. I want to know what cum actually is for a female and how you can tell that you've done it. I know it is white but other than that, I don't know.

What is the difference? [Smile]

--------------------
I love you Steph. <3

Posts: 53 | From: Halifax | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cum is often a slang term for ejaculate, which is the liquid that a male releases with orgasm.

While ejaculation and orgasm for men tend to happen at the same time, they don't necessarily have to.

Sometimes people also talk about 'cumming' when what they mean to say is that they orgasmed. In that case, the terms are interchangeable.

So, it's easy to see where one can get confused with all these different terms. [Smile]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johann7
Activist
Member # 29754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johann7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With 'slang' terms like "cum", there isn't necessarily any one answer, and this can be further confused with sexual slang, as sex is often discussed ONLY using slang terms or euphemisms instead of clear and specific language. "Cum" as a noun is most often used to refer to male ejaculate (semen), though it may also be used to refer to female ejaculate expelled during orgasm or vaginal mucus/lubrication secreted during arousal. As a verb, "cum" is usually used interchangeably with "orgasm" for both men and women (and other sex/gender identities), though it may also be used in place of "ejaculate", which, as September pointed out, often occurs with orgasm (for most men and some women, but not necessarily). Anyway, "cum" is not a technical term, so there isn't necessarily one 'correct' definition for it.

--------------------
Robble Robble Robble!

Posts: 46 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.