Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » condom question.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: condom question.
flippo
Neophyte
Member # 60699

Icon 5 posted      Profile for flippo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay this is related to my recent post about being worried about pregnancy all the time, but I wanted to make a new topic because this is more technical whereas that was more emotional.

Anyway, I know that condoms are not 100% effective. I know they can fail if they slip off or break. But from what I hear, breakage is very noticeable both by feeling and by what it looks like, like it will probably look like a popped balloon. And slipping off is noticeable, if not by feeling, you can definitely tell after he pulls out, at least in my experience. So my question is, is there any way a condom can fail that ISN'T noticeable? I guess what I'm trying to get at is, if my boyfriend and I didn't have any problems with breakage or slippage, are there any other potential invisible problems that warrant my pregnancy worries?

Posts: 31 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Breakage is typically very noticeable, yes, and if a condom slips off, that's also not easy to miss. So, if a condom does not slip off and does not break, then there's really no reason to be concerned about pregnancy.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flippo
Neophyte
Member # 60699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flippo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, this helps put my mind at ease, but I'm still kind of worried. My boyfriend and I had sex three times this month. My last period started May 18, and we had sex the 26th, the 28th, and June 3rd. Each time, we used a condom and my boyfriend said he used the pull-out method as well, and we didn't notice any problems. But since June 3rd or even a little before, I've been having weird feelings in my abdomen, which I know isn't actually a sign of pregnancy, but it did get me started on this worrying. I started waking up feeling a little nauseous, and I remember there was one day where I had waves of nausea throughout the day, but for the most part it didn't interfere with daily life. I'm really scared, but I also keep thinking that I started experiencing this way earlier than I thought it was possible to have pregnancy symptoms... like I remember having these "weird feelings" in my abdomen already on June 3rd before I had sex that day, and even if the first time having sex this month, the 26th, had somehow gotten me pregnant (even though it was the last day of my period), I read that it takes 8-10 days after conception for the fertilized egg to implant and for any super early symptoms to occur if they're going to occur at all. I also have had swollen, somewhat sore breasts, but that could be PMS? I'm just scared because I can't think of any other reason for long-lasting nausea besides pregnancy. I've been reading a lot about early signs of pregnancy and I can tell you that I haven't felt fatigued or been peeing any more frequently than normal. I just... don't know what to think anymore. Do these sound like signs of pregnancy? I know all I can really do is wait until my period is supposed to come/take a test, but I needed to ask SOMEONE.
Posts: 31 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flippo
Neophyte
Member # 60699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flippo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also want to add that the nausea is pretty bad when I first wake up, but after a half an hour or so it starts to lessen, whether or not I've eaten anything. Sometimes it goes away completely, and sometimes it lingers.

[ 06-14-2011, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: flippo ]

flippo
Neophyte
Member # 60699

I'm expecting my period at the end of this week which means if I am pregnant I would be 2 weeks pregnant, right? Do women even get morning sickness that early? I'm just completely freaking out. I took an early response HPT today. It was negative, but then I realized the box said that only 53% of pregnant women would get a positive result as early as I took it. I'm sorry I keep posting so much but this is how I deal with nervousness! I have to keep writing it all out so I can try to rationalize everything.

[ 06-14-2011, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: flippo ]

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once intercourse (the way pregnancy usually happens) occurs, it takes around a week for conception, if one is going to happen.

While some women do experience symptoms before a period is even late, that's really quite rare. A late period is most commonly the first and only symptom of pregnancy someone experiences this early in the game.

But a couple weeks of nausea is something you really want to check in with a doctor about. It sounds like pregnancy isn't likely here, but that's a long time to be sick to your stomach, so you'll want to find out what IS up. It may well be your anxiety over all of this, mind, but I'd still get checked out if you can, okay? You can also have another pregnancy test done, too, while you're there if you like.

Why don't you also check this out: Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flippo
Neophyte
Member # 60699

Thanks Heather. You have an article for everything!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If only! [Smile] But we try and do our best to make the ones we see that all of you are expressing a need for.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.