Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » is it normal to feel like this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is it normal to feel like this?
flippo
Neophyte
Member # 60699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flippo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do other people feel like this, or is it just me because I'm a paranoid person in general? I'm relatively new to being sexually active, but it's like every month I have sex I just live in fear until I get my period, even if NOTHING went wrong. I use condoms properly and I pay close attention to my body but every time I feel a minor cramp in my abdomen or anything, my mind says PREGNANT. Am I just crazy and paranoid, or is it good that I'm so conscious of my body? How can I relax a little?
Posts: 31 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loststone
Activist
Member # 51804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loststone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi flippo.

It sounds like you're having some anxiety about pregnancy risk, would you say that's what this is? Are there any other factors that are concerning you?

If you're feeling anxious about pregnancy risk, it could be that maybe you're not feeling taking these risks is right for you at the moment. And there are things you can do about that: you could only engage in sex which doesn't pose a pregnancy risk, or you could use another method of contraception as well as condoms, for example.

Was that any help?

Posts: 134 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flippo
Neophyte
Member # 60699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flippo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, pregnancy is my biggest worry, since my boyfriend has been tested for STDs and doesn't have any. I guess I would be interested in going on the Pill but I don't know much about obtaining it on my own. Is it expensive? How would I go about getting it?
Posts: 31 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loststone
Activist
Member # 51804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loststone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, in that case sounds like using another method of contraception is the best plan. Have you had a look at these articles:
The Buddy System
Birth Control Bingo

Do you have insurance? You should be able to get contraception from your doctor or Planned Parenthood (and if you don't have insurance, PP operate on a sliding scale).

(Also, FYI, Scarleteen recommends if you want to stop using barrier methods you should have been exclusive and have both tested negative to STDs in tests 6 months apart; so if you're thinking about ditching the condoms at any point, it's best for you to both get tested again.)

Posts: 134 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flippo: just so you know, some states in the US also have subsidized programs for young people without insurance for contraception.

And if there isn't a Planned Parenthood near you, those aren't the only clinics around with sliding scales for contraception in many states.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flippo
Neophyte
Member # 60699

This might be a dumb question but what's a sliding scale?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It means that they're willing to charge individually based on what a given person is able to pay.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmityJane
Neophyte
Member # 48828

Icon 7 posted      Profile for AmityJane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are worried about getting pregnant you could get a contracpetion injection, the coil or another more effective form of contraception that will be extra protection with use of condoms.
Posts: 26 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.