Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » is love enough to be emotionally ready if not then how do i know

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is love enough to be emotionally ready if not then how do i know
Pixiie
Activist
Member # 53705

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Pixiie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i lost my virginity to my bf we are in love but i recently realized that im just not emotionally ready or moved on from past unhealthy relationships. so how will i know when im truly emotionally ready to have sex with him again? is loving him enough or all i need?

--------------------
Pixiee

Posts: 59 | From: brooklyn | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually loving someone isn't enough to be ready for sex with someone else, because there's a lot more to both managing sex well and to being sexual with someone than love.

Of course, sex with someone else is also about the readiness of both people, not just one of you. Are you asking about the partner you were talking about in this thread?

Also, have you looked into any counseling yet, like Karyn last suggested for you?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixiie
Activist
Member # 53705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixiie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my partner is ready but im not. i just want to be able t make better judgments, when i lost my virginity i thought i was ready but it turns out i wasnt so not to make the same mishap how will i know when im truly ready. i have considered looking into counseling but do i go to a counselor at school or a professional one?

--------------------
Pixiee

Posts: 59 | From: brooklyn | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either, depending on what you have access to and what you feel most comfortable with.

You could start with a school counselor and see how that goes, and/or ask them to refer you to a counselor outside school, or you could seek out someone outside to begin with. It's really up to you and about what you can get to, if you do or don't have healthcare coverage for counseling and what you feel most comfortable with.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.