Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Sex on my period - Possible pregnancy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex on my period - Possible pregnancy?
Natalie H
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I might find other topics already on here about it, but none specifically answer my question.

Ok, I started my cycle Wednesday the 23rd. Thursday me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex (we normally use the withdrawal method) and I let him ejaculate inside me. The reason behind this was I thought I'd heard that pregnancy is less likely when girls are on the rag.

Then today I heard that girls are actually MORE likely to get pregnant on the rag.

My brother told me it's like this: Normally without protected it's a pretty big risk. When you're on your period it's a lot more likely. When you ovulate it's almost a sure thing you'll get pregnant.

So which is it? Am I more or less likely to get pregnant while on my period?

And another question I had: If I DID get pregnant on my period would it continue to flow?

Bicycle? I prefer a homocycle.

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pregnancy takes about a week to occur in total, so yes were you to become pregnant your period would still continue. It is less likely you would become pregnant right before and during a period, but not impossible, because some women ovulate close to their periods. However, to be safe we always suggest using a reliable form of birth control every time if you don't wish to become pregnant.

"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 48828

Icon 4 posted      Profile for AmityJane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get pregnant any time.
Posts: 26 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, your brother is totally wrong.

Here's the basic facts:
- You are most likely to get pregnant around the time that you ovulate.
- Ovulation usually occurs between 10-16 days before your period starts.
- If ovulation occurs closer to your period than about 9 days, a fertilized egg generally won't have time to implant and cause the hormonal changes which allow a pregnancy to be sustained. Your period is an extremely reliable sign that you are not pregnant.
- Sperm can live 5-7 days in the vagina, especially around ovulation, when the uterine environment is, shall we say, "more welcoming."
- Therefore, whether or not sex on your period is less likely to result in pregnancy depends on the length of your cycle and the length of your period. If your cycle is 25 days long and your period is 7 days... yeah, that's a risk.
- When we say "you can get pregnant at any time", what we really mean is "it's close to impossible to tell in advance when the fertile part of your cycle is going to hit, so you can't assume you're safe."
- Even when the sperm and the egg are in the right place at the right time, this combination only results in pregnancy about 25% of the time.
- 25% is not "almost certain", but it is not a small risk. Over the course of a year, about 80% of heterosexual couples who have regular, unprotected intercourse will experience a pregnancy.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.