Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Odor on uncircumcised penis?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Odor on uncircumcised penis?
Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, quick question. I'm sexually involved with this new guy, and I noticed that his penis has a very strong smell. I've never experienced anything like that before. My exboyfriend never had that, but he was circumcised. This new guy isn't. I guess if I had to describe it I'd say fishy. Like those precooked cocktail shrimp that you have to thaw with lukewarm water. Sometimes it smells more strongly than other times, I don't really see a pattern.

It's not really a BAD smell, not to me anyway, but I was just wondering if it could be a health issue?

[ 03-12-2011, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Natalie H ]

--------------------
Bicycle? I prefer a homocycle.

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it may mostly be around the base but I'm not sure. I don't THINK it's his balls. I dunno, I haven't exactly tried to sniff test it, ha ha!

--------------------
Bicycle? I prefer a homocycle.

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some parents are really fantastic about teaching little guys who to clean uncircumcised penises from very early on. Other parents never do it at all.

Chances are good that scent has to do with his not knowing how he needs to clean up or not doing it often enough. It's not rocket science, mind. All it is is, when showering or bathing, gently pulling the foreskin back, running warm water over the area, using a finger to just move off accumulated skin cells, oils and fluids (which can get kind of pasty under the foreskin), and then sliding the foreskin back.

But if he doesn't know he needs to do that or how, then what can happen is that smegma accumulates more and more under the foreskin and can get smelly.

Of course, the tricky part is being a sexual partner asking another if they know how to clean themselves, right? Not exactly a socially easy situation.

My best advice is that you're not the best person to do that, and since this may or may not be it, you instead just talk to him about sexual healthcare and make sure he's up-to-date with it, including full STI testing. A doctor, doing an exam, is going to be able to see if this is about hygiene, and if so, can tell him how to clean with it feeling way less intrusive than a partner doing so. As well, a doctor can check to be sure it's that, not something else.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.