Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » question about STD/STI testing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question about STD/STI testing
whatwhatwhatrudoing1122
Neophyte
Member # 51405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whatwhatwhatrudoing1122     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my partner and I are both getting tested for STDs/STIs this week. We have been together for a little over 3 months. We have already engaged in unprotected oral sex on each other and we have had unprotected genital to genital contact, but we use condoms every time during intercourse.
The last time he got tested was a year ago, and all his test results were negative. The last time I got tested was a year and a half ago, and all my test results were negative.

I was reading in the article "What Safer Sex Isn't" about how both partners should get tested 6 months into a relationship, after using protection at all times/being exclusive. My situation doesn't exactly fit that equation (we are exclusive but haven't always used protection), but I was wondering: assuming both our test results come back negative, would I have anything to worry about in terms of "waiting for something to show up"? I was thinking that since we each haven't gotten tested in about a year, that that's plenty of time for something to show up. Is that correct thinking?

This is the specific passage I'm referencing: "What we advise if you want to get to a point where you're taking a pass on condoms or other latex barriers is six months of barriers and exclusivity, then a fresh round of STI testing for both partners. If all of both your tests come back negative AND you both agree to remain exclusive, and only then do you stop using condoms while keeping up with STI tests every year or two (depending on how long you're together and exclusive for) you can be pretty sure that the risk of STIs is very low. That six month window allows for plenty of time for STIs possibly acquired before you two got together to show up on tests, and also gives you both some time to establish trust and see if exclusivity is going to remain something each of you wants to continue and will continue."

Thank you!

Posts: 15 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you two got together three months ago, when was the last time one or both of you had another (or more) sexual partner?

(Also, just know that tests still are very accurate, but not infallible and some STIs can lie dormant for a while without showing up: HPV is the biggie for that, but that'd be about you since he can't get tested for that.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whatwhatwhatrudoing1122
Neophyte
Member # 51405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whatwhatwhatrudoing1122     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
The last time I had sex before him was 1 year and 9 months ago.
The last time he had sex before me was 7 months ago.
In terms of HPV, I am getting a Pap smear and then, assuming I don't have HPV, I am getting the Gardisil vaccine.

Posts: 15 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. So, if you bot get tested again now, both get negative results, and your relationship has been and stays exclusive, then you can feel confident that your risks of most STIs at this point should be very low.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.