Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Painful Penetration and Bleeding Afterward

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Painful Penetration and Bleeding Afterward
sweet_thing
Activist
Member # 52326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet_thing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I have been having sex for almost a month now and we both really enjoy it. We always use condoms and I'm on birth control pills. However, I still have a few questions/concerns.

Initial penetration is still really painful for me. I'm fine after a minute or two, and I'm fine if we switch positions and stuff, but we have to start off really slow. I don't really think it's a matter of me being unaroused. I almost always orgasm while having sex (which is great for both of us [Smile] ). But I was wondering if there's any way we can make the first penetration less painful? I don't want to have it in my mind that it'll always be painful, because if I feel like if I expect it to then it will.

Also, I've found that I always bleed a little after sex, and I'm sore for a good while, even in to the next day. The bleeding is very light, not even enough to be considered spotting, and it typically stops after I wipe myself once or twice. Is this an issue/related to the painful penetration?

Thanks!

Posts: 55 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you using lubricant when intercourse beings and adding throughout as/if needed?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet_thing
Activist
Member # 52326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet_thing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, we haven't cause I'm usually pretty aroused and wet.
Posts: 55 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, having pain with entry AND having bleeding makes pretty clear that you are not likely as lubricated as you need to be.

And given that you're using the pill and condoms, that's not at all surprising. One of the ways the pill works is by thickening cervical mucus, which makes the vagina drier or discharges less slick and slippery. As well, condoms tend to require additional lubricant -- and not the human-body-made kind -- both to keep from breaking, but also to have them feel comfortable.

So, my best suggestion is that you first try getting a good lube, and then putting plenty on your vulva before intercourse begins, then adding throughout intercourse if it goes on for a while.

If that doesn't help, feel free to pop back and we can talk about other possibilities! [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.