Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Recurrent UTIs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recurrent UTIs
BriAnne86
Neophyte
Member # 48343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BriAnne86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this is the right place for this topic, so feel free to move it if not.

This past October was my first time having sex. I suppose due to both inexperience regarding preventative measures (ie urinating before/after, cleaning up, etc) and the number of times we had sex in a short amount of time (something like 5-6 times in 3 days), I wound up with a uti. This time, I had the tell-tale signs: burning, urgency, frequency, going only small amounts each time. I was put on antibiotics and all was fine in a week.

A month later (Nov.), I went to see him again (we're long distance right now as he's in the Air Force), we had sex frequently again in a short time...but this time I was more careful, or at least tried to be. I got home and drank nothing but water and cranberry juice all day the day I came home, and managed to not get a uti that time.

December, he came home for holiday leave. We had sex, but due to his short amount of time home and all the running around for the holidays, we didn't do it at nearly the same frequency as in previous encounters. Still, I wound up with another uti. This time, though, there was no burning, but my urine was cloudy and had a strong sulfer smell every time (last time I didn't have this at all). However, I had no burning, urgency, or any of the symptoms I had during my first one. Regardless, I was tested and confirmed, and put on another round of meds. The uti cleared up and all was well again.

This month, my bf got to come home for a bit again and we had sex probably 5-6 times in 2 weeks. I tried really hard to prevent a uti. I bought some baby wipes to make cleaning up before and after easier, tried to pee at least afterward, and even took some cranberry pills starting a week before he got home, just in case it would help. Our last time having sex was Friday. Today (Sunday) I woke up and my urine seemed normal. I went to my bf's house since he was leaving today, and when I came home I urinated again, and this time I could smell that sulfur smell again, and it looked a bit cloudy. Great...looks like another uti. I haven't been tested yet since it's Sunday but I'm guessing that's what it is. And here I thought I was in the clear.

My biggest problem is that it's really difficult for me to pee after sex. I try to go within 10 minutes and I can't even force any out 95% of the time. I always have to wait at least a half hour and by then I fear it's too little too late anyway. Still, I was good about cleaning up but apparently it wasn't enough.

I'm starting to get really frustrated with this. Fortunately none of the uti's have been all that bothersome, but still, it's getting to the point where I'm almost fearing sex because I don't want to wind up with another uti...I keep associating sex with them and it makes it more of a stress than something to enjoy because that's all I can do during it is worry if I'm going to wind up with a uti!

So 3 UTI's in 5 months. Is this something I'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my life? Or is it because I'm still fairly new to sex and my sessions are so spread apart that it's almost like starting all over each time? My bf and I are monogamous if that helps. I just don't know what to do. I seem to be the only one I know who has this issue.

Before I started having sex, I'd never had a uti (I'm 24 by the way), at least not that I remember (I may have had them as a baby but my mom never mentioned it). So annoying!

Posts: 34 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi BriAnne,

It does sound like you're having more UTI's than the average woman, and that you're already doing what you can to prevent them (urinating before and after sex, drinking plenty of fluids, cranberry tablets). You'll want to talk to your doctor about how often you're getting them. They may want to do further investigations for health problems which can predispose women to UTIs. It would be very unlikely for this to become a lifelong problem for you and there are usually solutions available.

[ 02-20-2011, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: eryn_smiles ]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.