Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Risk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Risk?
MusicFan
Activist
Member # 13432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Today, I performed unprotected oral-anal sex on my boyfriend, and a few hours later when I brushed my teeth, there was some bleeding (quite a bit, actually) going on, i.e. there was an open cut in my mouth at that time. I'm wondering what my risk for STIs would be as a result. Does the fact that I had a cut in my mouth increase the risk of getting hepatitis, etc.? (By the way, I'm a guy, too, if that matters.)

Thanks!

Posts: 56 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Oral/anal sex poses risk of transmitting the following STIs-
Chlamydia
Cytomegalovirus (CMV)
Gonorrhea
Hepatitis
Herpes Simplex
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
Molluscum Contagiosum
Syphilis

When people have cuts or open wounds, there's slightly higher risk of exchanging blood and transmitting the blood-borne viruses like hepatitis and HIV.

The best way to keep ourselves safe during oral sex is to use latex barriers like dental dams, saran wrap or a condom cut-up with lubricant. You'll also both want to get regular STI testing, 3-6 months into a new relationship and then yearly or whenever you change partners. If you're worried about STIs from this particular risk today, you could get testing in 4-6 weeks time and aim for safer sex measures in the meantime. What do you think?

More info-
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/crisis/sti_risk_assessment_the_cliffs_notes
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexuality/safe_sound_sexy_a_safer_sex_how_to

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Music Fan,

Beautiful pacific has covered the more practical side of things - how are you feeling about that info?
Is there anything else you want to ask us in terms of how you can negotiate safer sex practices with your boyfriend, be more prepared for safer sex etc?

Do you think you might consider getting an STI test in the next few weeks and start using dental dams etc now?

Rebecca

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.