Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Condom use and effectiveness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom use and effectiveness
Yesman
Activist
Member # 45226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yesman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

obviously I'm asking about condoms I have a few questions and I'll start with the effectiveness.

How effective is a condom ? Like what are the percentages etc ?

Posts: 52 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A nice description of condoms, including effectiveness right at the top, can be found on the Condoms page.
Some more info about using condoms is at This User's Manual page
Hope this helps!

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yesman
Activist
Member # 45226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yesman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanx a lot,

i see that it says 98% Effectiveness ! [Smile] but i have a question. what is da 2% !? the chance of breaking or what ?

Posts: 52 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again,
As stated in the article,
quote:
98% effective with perfect use; 2 out of every 100 women will become pregnant each year
85% effective with typical use: 15 out of every 100 women will become pregnant each year

The statistic means that of 100 women using condoms perfectly, 2 will become pregnant.

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yesman
Activist
Member # 45226

Yes I understand this. But what caused it ? Breakage, leakage ? Or does this mean that sperm actually found its way through the latex ?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That 2% means that despite following ALL the directions to the letter, that a condom still failed, which yes, will typically be because it broke or slipped off.

Semen cannot "just come through" latex.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yesman
Activist
Member # 45226

Thank you so much Heather.

So if i use a condom perfectly AND it did not break or slip off, I can be 100% sure that she will not fal pregnant ?

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the nice things about condoms is that we can usually know when and if they have failed.

So, while we have to be careful saying 100% about anything at all, on the whole, I'd say yes, when that is so, you can be as sure as possible pregnancy is not at all likely to occur.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yesman
Activist
Member # 45226

Thanx, sorry i just have a lot of questions on the subject because me and my girlfriend are planning to have sex soon and we can't get hold of something like the pill so our only choice is condoms. So I want to be sure this is a safe option.

In the statistics it says that with typical use (Or somethin along those lines) that its 85% effective. What exactly is this typical use ? What is done wrong by these people ? Putting on a condom is pretty simple so I can't see what they could be doing wrong ? I just want to know exactly so I can too avoid doing such things.

Heather
Member # 3

No need to be sorry, that's what we're here for!

So, typical use -- for any method, including condoms -- means the way most people use them in daily life, not in studies, which often tends to involve folks not following directions to the letter. It even includes people not using them at all, odd as that sounds. Those figures are generally found in broad surveys where people are asked what method of contraception they use, then how many pregnancies they have had in that year, if any.

So, for instance, let's say someone says condoms. They may not put them on right at the start of sex everytime, they may not follow directions to the letter about leaving room in the tip, and sometimes they just may not put them on at all, even though that's the method they use. Does that make sense?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Yesman
Activist
Member # 45226

Yes, I understand what you saying. So the way i use it should b considered perfect use ?

The other day i tried on a condom for the first time just to see how it fits me etc... I left space at the top, as it says, but after a while that space i left in the front was not there and it was tight on the head of my penis. Is this wrong and can it cause a problem ?

As well, when I put it on the ring of the condom felt quite tight. I don't know how tight this ring is suppose to be ?

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.