Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Bring up Birth Control to your Mother?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bring up Birth Control to your Mother?
worriedabouteverything
Activist
Member # 49083

Icon 5 posted      Profile for worriedabouteverything     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to go on birth control but I'm scared for what my mother will say. How can I suggest it with out telling her straight up?
Posts: 52 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara
Neophyte
Member # 49208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine this to be a tough thing to do. I've never had to do it, and now I'm old enough I don't need to ask. How old are you?

Maybe you can try to talk to her about reasons why birth control should be used. After you're into the discussion bring up the possibility of you taking it. I wouldn't ask her directly. Tell her you've thought about it and would like to be prepared and safe. Tell her you respect her opinion and wanted to gather her thoughts on the issue. And as your mother, you wanted her to not only know about this, but to be the one to help you as well.

When I was 17 my mother actually told me to let her know before I had sex so she could get me birth control. Of course, I never did (wasn't sexually active until I was 20). I hope your mother will be as understanding. Good luck!

Posts: 28 | From: DC | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I may ask, why do you want to go on birth control? Are you looking ahead and want to be prepared just in case a relationship grows and progresses to the possibility of sexual intercourse? Are you currently in a relationship, has it progressed to the possibility of, or you are at the point where you are ready for intercourse? If you have given these questions some good time and thought before you answered them, then how you answer theses questions and why you answered them they way you have will be a good foundation for your conversation with your mom. Have you read this article, Ready or Not? The Scarleteen Sex Readiness Checklist ? It may help you with answering my questions and supporting those answers while you are talking with your mom. Although I don’t know your relationship with your mom, I would suggest simply being honest, straight forward, and being prepared to support your answers and reasons for wanting birth control. Good Luck!

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucidkitty
Activist
Member # 49104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucidkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is wise to just be on it anyway dan, because often times people get into the heat of the moment without it there and i think if more girls were on it just because this would;d reduct the number of teen parents drastically.
Posts: 84 | From: baltimore,maryland | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucidkitty
Activist
Member # 49104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucidkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest worried depending on your age and the state you can probably get it now at a planned parenthood yourself. Actually i think some states give the doctor the option of telling the parents if he sees fit, but don't think any require parental consent, but someone correct me if i'm wrong?
Posts: 84 | From: baltimore,maryland | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where I would agree that it is safer to have some form a BC, remember the pill isn't the only option available, I was mainly addressing Worriedabouteverything's question about how to talk with her Mom about it.

Worriedabouteverything, I think it's great that you want to talk to your Mom about this and I encourage to, if you can safely. She can be a great resource and help for a lot of things. There are other options available to you if you are uncomfortable or it doesn’t work out with you Mom. I don’t know your age or location to give better options, your primary healthcare provider and/or Gyn. are a good place to start, your school’s student health center/clinic is a good resource for referrals and possibly actual BC (Univ. or Colleges), and Planned Parenthood too. If you are concerned about your parents knowing about it, talk with your Dr. as to their policy on privacy and how they report it on the insurance claim because your parents may receive the ins. report. Otherwise P.P. doesn’t notify parents and works on a sliding scale based on how much you can afford to pay.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucidkitty
Activist
Member # 49104

Well in general dan i mean any type of bc from an iud to the pill.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(lucidkitty: Please try and keep your own wants about contraception or political ideas about who should use it out of someone else's post about their own wants and needs, okay? Thanks!)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
worriedabouteverything
Activist
Member # 49083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for worriedabouteverything     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sixteen. I would like to talk to my mother about it, just not too sure how she will react. I'm thinking that she will think that I want to have sex right now instead of just planning for the future right. I understand that you don't need parent consent for the pill or injection but I would like to tell her so she doesn't find out herself.
Thanks for talking everyone, love the feedback! [Smile]

Posts: 52 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you could use the rationalization of it regulating your periods...a lot of girls do go on birth control just to make it easier to know when their periods will come and have less stress about that.
Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.