Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Getting Some "Alone Time"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting Some "Alone Time"
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tashi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess this question mostly goes out to those that have been in a college setting, or have shared a living space with a roommate. I'm a freshman in college this year, and my boyfriend and I are in a long-distance relationship. It's going as well as can be expected thus far, but there are times where my mind will wander, I'll be distracted by sexual thoughts of him, and find that I don't really have a good location to masturbate or act upon my sex drive. It's not a huge problem, but it gets a bit frustrating when I really want to touch myself and my roommate is in the room or sleeping/in bed. I've never liked masturbating in the shower as much, and in dorm showers, there isn't a lot of space to work with/it's still a somewhat public area.

Any advice on how you dealt with satisfying yourself while you had a roommate? (Also, I don't think I could talk to her about it and ask for some "alone time," she's fairly conservative, but we live well together, and I don't want to make things awkward or anything)

Thanks!

Posts: 101 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucidkitty
Activist
Member # 49104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucidkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL even conservative people masturbate dear.You don't even need to be blunt about it just say sometimes you like to have some ALONE time to talk with your bf....she will get a hint. And isn't her schedule different then hers....when i was in i worked my masturbation around my roomies classes. But she was conservative too and i brought it up and she was glad because she said she was dying to do it but didn't want to bring it up and make things awkward between us, If none of this works you could just do it under the covers when she is sleeping.

[ 09-28-2010, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: lucidkitty ]

Posts: 84 | From: baltimore,maryland | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tashi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I wouldn't be surprised at all if she had never masturbated before. She hasn't given any indication of being or having any interest in sexual activity with herself or others. And for the most part, we're gone usually the same time of day. I don't know if waiting until she's asleep would work, I tend to move/lift my hips a lot when masturbating, and loft beds are squeaky. [Wink]
Posts: 101 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralee
Peer Ambassador
Member # 43628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coralee         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you have to explain yourself too much. It's normal for roommates to want to have some privacy once in a while. You don't have to say why. Just say something like, "hey, do you mind giving me some time alone after dinner tonight? I just kind of want some privacy/time to myself".
Posts: 143 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucidkitty
Activist
Member # 49104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucidkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL just because she hasn't given you any indication doesn't mean she doesn't. Some people are just not very forward is all. And yes all the beds in my dorm seemed to be like that lol. You could always tell who had something going on that night. And like coralee said just ask for some privacy.
Posts: 84 | From: baltimore,maryland | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Britster
Activist
Member # 48970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Britster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it helps any, even sexually conservative people can be considerate and give leeway to people. I consider myself pretty conservative in that area and I don't really masturbate, and I wouldn't mind if my roommate did.
Posts: 89 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

Ok, thanks everyone!
music2myears612
Activist
Member # 42508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for music2myears612     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not everyone masturbates and that might be a private matter to bring up. You can just say maybe you want some alone time to talk to your boyfriend like the other person said, that should work?
Posts: 108 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bosunbob
Neophyte
Member # 49600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bosunbob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another approach
If you need to satisfying yourself while your roommate is in, is to just do it, and if you awake her during your act, that would be a way to being it up, tell her why you are needing to do this and if she does not like, Then plan your days for both of you to have private time so one of you are out of the room at given times.

On the long-distance relationship, it is very hard to have one, being far away and not able to see each other over weekends, will add up to your frustrations getting worse. Can both of you be in the same city going to school after this year? You make new friends and he makes new friends, but those new friends do not share anything you two share.

Posts: 12 | From: San Diego, Ca | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.