Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » I Had Unprotected Oral Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Had Unprotected Oral Sex
ALongWayGone
Neophyte
Member # 49134

Icon 8 posted      Profile for ALongWayGone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

So, like a moron, I had unprotected oral sex last Saturday (both giving and receiving). The guy told me he was tested in April and was clean, but who knows if he lied to me or not? SO, I've made an appointment with my Gyno for next Thursday to get checked out. However, I've developed a minor sore throat about a day ago, and this concerns me. I know that sore throats aren't often associated with STDs, but I'm still nervous about it. I've not had any symptoms in my genital area, so that's good, but I also know that many STDs don't show symptoms. I'm so upset with my lapse of judgement that I've been fantasizing about visiting an emergency room to get tested before next Thursday, but that's also such a pain and would be way more expensive for me. I guess what I'm asking is, if I have contracted something will waiting a week worsen it in such a way that I should endeavor to be tested sooner? Or am I freaking out too much and should just wait patiently for my appointment next week?

And yes, I'm going to go out and buy some flavored condoms and dental dams stat. I can't believe I let my guard down like that. UGHHHH [Mad]

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 1 | From: Chicago | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sore throats have all sorts of causes, and even if it is due to an STI (which, frankly would be unusual - most don't show symptoms so soon if they do at all) waiting until you can get tested isn't a huge deal.

What actually might be better for you to do is to get your sore throat checked out by your regular healthcare provider, making sure to mention that you've given oral sex unprotected, and then reschedule your screening for a month or so from now (unless you develop any other symptoms before then). I know that's a long time to wait when you're freaking out, but the majority of STIs will not show up on a test so soon after a risk like this, so it's better to wait a few weeks. You'll also want to schedule a follow-up testing about six months after this first one.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karybu addressed the physical health issues well so I’ll comment on being “…so upset with my lapse of judgment…”. Please, don't beat yourself up for getting caught up in the moment! It is a very natural thing! I can understand your frustration about not practicing safe sex, I have been there too. Take care of yourself as Karybu suggested; go see your regular Dr. or Student Health Center (if appropriate) first. Just remember you are human and consider this a learning experience.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucidkitty
Activist
Member # 49104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucidkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i didn't realize people actually used protection for oral sex.
Posts: 84 | From: baltimore,maryland | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.