Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Oral sex question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oral sex question
FigNewton
Neophyte
Member # 46378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FigNewton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just curious, but what are the risks of unprotected oral on a girl? (for her, specifically)

[ 09-13-2010, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: FigNewton ]

Posts: 10 | From: Some place | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spoken77
Neophyte
Member # 48874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spoken77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh how do u have protected oral sex with a girl???
Posts: 23 | From: california | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kath
Neophyte
Member # 48639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about your question FigNewton, but Spoken, you can buy a type of barrier method which is sometimes called a dental dam. It's like a piece of fabric/plastic stuff that you place over her genital area. There should be an article about it somewhere on the site, but I'm not sure where. Here's the wikipedia page to give you a bit of an overview anyhow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_dam
Posts: 20 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilstrawberry
Activist
Member # 39129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilstrawberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi FigNewton.

Unprotected oral would pose a risk of STI transmission, including Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Hepatitis, Syphilis, HIV and Herpes Simplex. You can read more about these risks and what they are here: STI Risk Assessment: The Cliff's Notes

As Kath mentioned, you can have protected oral sex (on a female) by using a barrier method, such as a latex dental dam, saran wrap, or even a condom cut down the middle. There isn't a page here specifically on the dental dam, but you can search "dental dam" on the site to find various articles that discuss them.

Posts: 117 | From: U.S. | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devanie
Activist
Member # 46095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've already read the STI Risk assessment link, we already know about dental dams. Thanks for the replies, though. =)

And, yes, Spoken, you can have protected oral sex with a girl.

Specifically, what's the likeliness of transmitting Herpes Simplex, the oral one, to receiver, and what's the likiness of getting a UTI or yeast infection.

This is a theoretical question, not a nervous or anything one. Just curious.

Posts: 116 | From: SL | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the person giving the oral sex have oral herpes?

Yeast infections and UTIs aren't STIs. Both can be exascerbated by any kind of genital sex, and UTIs can potentially develop due to any kind of genital sex, but neither are transmitted via oral sex or other kinds of sex.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devanie
Activist
Member # 46095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew that UTIs and Yeast infections weren't STIs, but... Anyway, thanks.

And then, yes, the person giving would have oral herpes.

Posts: 116 | From: SL | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oral herpes can definitely be transmitted to the genitals even if the person doesn't have an active sore at the time. Here's an article that might help (with some additional links at the bottom): Are coldsores herpes?

[ 09-13-2010, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devanie
Activist
Member # 46095

I know. That's not the question. Apparently I can't communicate or something, because no one is understanding.

I want to know how likely it is that it'll be transmitted. Like, a statistic.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having trouble finding you a stat for that, but the ASHA page on herpes may give you some of the info you want: http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_learn_questions.cfm

This article may also be helpful to you: http://www.webmd.com/genital-herpes/guide/20061101/oral-sex-raises-womens-genital-herpes-risk

With questions like this, understand that often there aren't solid stats, because just because someone is exposed to something does not mean they will acquire it since all bodies and immune systems are not identical.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devanie
Activist
Member # 46095

Okay, thanks. =) I'll go take a look.

And, yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.