Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Dude taking birth control?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dude taking birth control?
Krampus
Neophyte
Member # 46950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krampus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a male friend who took a month long course of hormonal contraception meant for women. He's since stopped, but the body fat he put in feminine places has stayed. It's been almost a month since he stopped and the slight breasts he developed stuck around, for example.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have an explanation for this?

Posts: 16 | From: The Kingdom of Hella (N. California) | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some changes caused by taking hormones can be permanent, such as breast changes. The distribution of fat tends not to be permanent, but it would take longer than a few weeks for that to change.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krampus
Neophyte
Member # 46950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krampus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That makes sense. I wonder if a male person taking it young enough could start female-like puberty with breast buds and whatnot (this person has recently turned 17). Maybe in a few months we'll see the permanent results.
Posts: 16 | From: The Kingdom of Hella (N. California) | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krampus
Neophyte
Member # 46950

I forgot to mention, this person also has heart problems. This occurred to me later as something that could be adversely affected by BC since I know it can cause those kinds of problems in women.
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
It's very important that whoever prescribed the birth control to your friend discussed their medical history and checked blood pressure beforehand. People with certain heart problems and strokes should not take the combined oral contraceptive pill. If concerned, he should contact his doctor.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krampus
Neophyte
Member # 46950

It wasn't prescribed, it was a gift from a friend of theirs. So, that complicates things. They're not concerned, as they show little care for their well-being, but I am.
Krampus
Neophyte
Member # 46950

...Alright. Things just took a turn for the surprising. It seems like they've actually started female puberty. Also, I'd like to add they identify as male and these changes were totally unintended on their part.

So far they've had their areolas enlarge significantly and developed a tenderness in the nipples which reminds me a lot of early female puberty. Is female birth control anything like the hormone treatment a transgender man can get?

robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robot_on_fire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i suggest this person see a doctor to get his questions answered and get treatment if he needs to
Posts: 92 | From: las vegas | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robot_on_fire has a good suggestion there - it would be a very good idea for this person to see a healthcare provider about this. The hormones in birth control pills are very similar to the ones prescribed to transgender people wishing to transition from male to female, although the amounts may differ. Is this person still taking the BC pills?

[ 07-05-2010, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.