Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » I get suicidal when I'm on my period- what should I do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I get suicidal when I'm on my period- what should I do?
graffitionyourbody
Neophyte
Member # 47384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for graffitionyourbody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know PMS is normal, but I have clinical depression, and I get depressed and even sometimes suicidal for the littlest of reasons when I'm on my period. I'm on the highest dose of my medication. I don't want to suppress my period- it just seems unnatural and unhealthy to me. What other options do I have? If I have any, I mean.
Posts: 19 | From: Washington, DC. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you sat down and had a thorough talk with your doctor about this already? If not, that's where you want to start. Sometimes your gyn can help you find ways to manage period related depression, and it's different than other types of depression.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graffitionyourbody
Neophyte
Member # 47384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for graffitionyourbody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a gyn, and I feel kind of awkward asking for one from my mom. She's usually very cool about sex related things, I just don't want to upset her about the depression stuff.
Posts: 19 | From: Washington, DC. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Parents who care about their kids are WAY more upset when they don't ask for help they need then when they do, really.

So, do you two have a good relationship, where you expect she would be supportive? If so, please just fill her in. Chances are she'll want to know and want to help.

I do want to say that while there are plenty of sound critiques about suppression, and I have made many myself, there are also some health conditions where it's really sound and smart. I'm sure there are lots of things you do in your daily life that aren't natural, and if this is a solution a doctor suggests as being best for your health, it may be more healthy for you to do this than to become suicidal, to be sure.

To give you another example of that, it's certainly not natural for people with thyroid problems to take thyroid medication, or people who are diabetic to have insulin injections: however, it's certainly better for their health that they do because they have those conditions.

Mind, that's not the only way to go, but it is one way, and it might be something to consider in your case.

[ 06-09-2010, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graffitionyourbody
Neophyte
Member # 47384

Yeah, I guess I should talk to her. I have a very good relationship with her. I just also have problems with guilt and I'm afraid of making her upset. But I'll ask. Thanks for all your help.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, bear in mind that it's very painful for a loving parent to discover that a child was ill or in pain and they didn't know or do anything about it. And when it's something like suicidal ideation, which could result in your death, you can only imagine how painful it would be for your mother to find out later you didn't feel you could ask for her help.

When parents want to be parents, part of what they want to be there for is to help you through the rough stuff. So, there's no need to feel guilty for asking them to do exactly what they wanted to do and agreed to do in choosing to become a parent, okay?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graffitionyourbody
Neophyte
Member # 47384

I know...I just have compulsive guilt (comes with my ocd) in addition to my depression. I can feel guilty for not telling her something minor, and then I can feel too guilty to tell her something major. But I'll tell her once I get home.

It's like, I don't even have a real reason. I'm just really, really, depressed.

Heather
Member # 3

When any of this is chemical, there usually isn't a reason: it just is in the same way that some people just have low blood sugar. It's physical.

I'm really glad to hear you're going to take a leap and tell your Mom, even though it's obviously hard for you. I think both of you will be glad you did. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.