Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » UTIs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UTIs
edukateyourself
Neophyte
Member # 45554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for edukateyourself         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read at a few places that keeping yourself from urinating can increase the chance of getting an UTI. but what does this mean exactly? does it mean you should always go when you need to in general, or that if you keep yourself from urinating after sex, you might increase your chances of getting an UTI?

also, I seem to be prone to UTIs. I've been seeing this guy since January, but he lives far away, so we've only seen each other once a month. we've seen each other two times so far, and I got an UTI after each time. I lost my virginity to him in August, and didn't see him or any other guy until January, and I didn't get an UTI that time. I might have got one and didn't notice because I was busy coping with losing my virginity (it was a positive experience, but, you know, still a definite change), but I think this is unlikely because with my previous UTIs, urinating was pretty noticeably painful. I also got one when I was a baby. I am seeing him again soon, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to prevent getting an UTI. our sexual relationship mostly involves manual sex and vaginal-insertive sex, if that can help.

Posts: 13 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edukateyourself
Neophyte
Member # 45554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for edukateyourself         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm Vietnamese, by the way. I don't know if that can help...
Posts: 13 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Love-Life
Activist
Member # 37952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Love-Life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there edukate,

UTI's are horrible! I'm sorry to hear you've been having so much trouble with them.

UTI's are caused by bacteria growing in your urinary tract, so the reason why you are more likely to get one is that if you don't urinate often enough then the bacteria have more time to grow. Does that make sense? In other words, if you feel like you have to urinate, don't wait. Intercourse can cause UTI's because it pushes the bacteria up into your urethra.

Urinating frequently, before and after sex, drinking lots of water (I try to be sure to drink 2L a day if that helps you conceptualize) and being sure to wipe from front to back after bowel movements are all good ways to avoid them.

I'm really prone to them too, and there are a few thing you can do to help prevent them. Drinking lots (and I mean LOTS) of water, cranberry juice and black cherry juice contain something that helps to kill the bacteria which can prevent UTI's. They also make cranberry pills which contain the same stuff.

If you find that you are getting lots of them, with no identifiable cause, be sure to see a doctor because chronic UTI's can be a symptom of other problems with the kidneys and bladder. But if you only are getting them after intercourse, plan for it and make sure you drink lots of water before and after.

Also! Check out this article!

--------------------
There is an upside to everything, sometimes you just have to turn it upside down to find it.

:-) Vikki (-:

Posts: 153 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edit: Whups, didn't notice that Love-Life had got there before me [Smile]

[ 02-26-2010, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1182 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edukateyourself
Neophyte
Member # 45554

Thanks for the reply! I will make sure to keep your advice in mind [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.