Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Study of people 18-29

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Study of people 18-29
Kalex
Activist
Member # 43486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happened across a study of people's knowledge about sex and contraception. It's pretty heterocentric, but it has some fairly significant statistics. After being on this site for a while, I found it pretty shocking that '63 percent said they knew little or nothing about birth control pills, and 30 percent said they had scant knowledge about condoms.'

And really, four in 10 respondents said it doesn't matter whether people use birth control, believing that people get pregnant when it's their "time."? Um, what? So there's some mythical pregnancy faerie, is there?

I just wanted to post this to see if anyone's interested by the study.

Posts: 52 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
May Day
Activist
Member # 39174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for May Day     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any chance you can link me to it (if it's online)? Statistics are only relevant if plentiful context is provided. That's it's heterocentric is a start, but really doesn't tell me anything about the people involved. I'd really be interested to know where the sample of people come from: their country, province, the type of government they're under.

But yes, i agree with you, it is unpleasant to realise that young people are still uninformed about their sexual health and options.

Posts: 172 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalex
Activist
Member # 43486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I feel really smart. Putting the link to the article would have been a good idea. I meant to, yet somehow I managed to forget. Sorry about that.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/12/15/sex.report/

Data was collected by the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, and while I assume they surveyed Americans, I don't see anything about where in America.

Posts: 52 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cnon
Neophyte
Member # 34034

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Cnon         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey All,

This study is wicked scary!! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Cnon

Posts: 34 | From: somewhere | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all, atm1 posted about this same article a couple days ago in this thread. [Smile]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.