Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » quick question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: quick question...
killah
Neophyte
Member # 44625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am on nuvaring and have been for a few months now, I love it and I would much like to take advantage of the fact that I only have to have four periods a year... but my question is...

Would it be better to leave the ring in for four weeks, then remove it and immediately replace it with a new one at the four week mark?

OR

Would it be better to take it out after the three weeks and immediately insert a new ring after that amount of time?

According to Nuvaring's website, according to the manufacturer, there are enough hormones in the ring to efficiently and effectively provide protection for up to four weeks. Being that this information is from the manufacturer itself, would if be safe to say that if left in for four weeks and immediately replaced after the allotted time, that I would be completely protected from pregnancy?

Obviously four weeks is most cost effective and favorable, being that i am a broke college student and paying for the ring out of pocket, that the lesser rings I need to buy, the better, but I just want to know if the amount of protection is constant.

Just curious and wanted some information from those who might know more than myself or have more experience.

Thanks, killah.

Posts: 9 | From: illinois | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obi
Activist
Member # 39222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this is answering the question you're asking, but the ring is designed to be taken out three weeks after it was put in. Then there's a week for your period, and by the end of that week you need to put in the next nuvaring. It's like with some birth control pills where you take three works worth of active pills, then you have the inactive pills during which you have your period.

Er, maybe someone else can touch on the four periods a year thing. I hadn't heard it can be used this way. I know the few times I've tried to see if I could hold off my period by doing the rings back to back and leaving the previous in for nearly four weeks that I just ended up spotting anyway. Granted I did so with the assumption that it might compromise the full effectiveness of the actual birth control just to be safe (though I always pair condoms with the ring as well).

At least that's my best guess on things. Of course talking to your doctor is probably a good idea if nothing else.

Posts: 46 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killah
Neophyte
Member # 44625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, not quite what I was asking, but thanks anyway. I know a bit about what I am asking, but I am not the most informed obviously, so someone who has more information available to them or knows more might just be able to give me some more insight... I know about stacking and all that and essentially that's what you do. What I was asking was if it was possible for the ring to be left in for four weeks before replacing and still have full effectiveness.
Posts: 9 | From: illinois | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Love-Life
Activist
Member # 37952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Love-Life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After doing a bit of reading it sounds to me like your best bet is to talk to your GP. Whenever you are going to do anything that is different with your prescription medications you should talk to whoever prescribed them first.

Also, the FDA hasn't done sufficient testing on young women to determine the effects of having four periods a year, so I don't want to say it's a good idea. I'm the kind of person who sticks with what is known as safe, so until they do enough testing, I wouldn't do it. However for women who are fully matured (mid to late 20's), it is said to be safe.

In my opinion, you should talk to your doctor and see what they recommend. Sorry if this isn't as helpful as you had hoped. Also, check out the Vaginal Ring (Nuvaring)if you haven't already. It has some useful information about the ring as well as a link to their website.

--------------------
There is an upside to everything, sometimes you just have to turn it upside down to find it.

:-) Vikki (-:

Posts: 153 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scared.com
Neophyte
Member # 45230

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Scared.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is nuvaring? Sorry had to ask I'm curious x

--------------------
Thank you x

Posts: 15 | From: Bristol | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Scared.com,

Nuvaring is the brand name for a ring containing hormones (same ones as are in the oral contraceptive pill) which is inserted into the vagina as a method of birth control. Please see the link in Love-Life's post above for more details.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.