Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » should i switch bc?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: should i switch bc?!
babygirl_sosu
Neophyte
Member # 44194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygirl_sosu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i started my period thursday and i stared birth control sunday. how long should i wait to have sex? (how long will it take for my bc to do its job?) also i've had stomach problems (cramps and diarrhea) and headaches since i started my bc i can tolerate it but does that mean my bc isn't working or are those just side effects?
Posts: 30 | From: OK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, babygirl_sosu! cramps, diarrhea and headaches are all possible side effects of birth control; they should subside fairly soon. However, if they're really bad, you should consult your doctor about it in case of any medical problems, or to see if there's a birth control that would be better for you, or anything else.

It is suggested that you use a second method of birth control for the first month of being on the pill to make sure it is in full effect.

Hope this has helped [Smile]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The phamplet that came with your birth control packet will probably tell you what the typical side effects are. If they continue, you may want to see your doctor and ask to switch to another pill. However, the pill reacts different to every person, and sometimes it takes time for your body to adjust.

Most doctors would recommend that you wait one week before depending solely on the pill alone, when taken properly, but you could use condoms as an extra back up just to be safe regardless.

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygirl_sosu
Neophyte
Member # 44194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygirl_sosu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you so much! i am so thankful for sites like scarleteen!
Posts: 30 | From: OK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.