Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » nuvaring question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: nuvaring question...
killah
Neophyte
Member # 44625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I'd like to say that I absolutely love this site. I've been lurking around here for about two years now and I have greatly benefited from the information you have provided here! I don't know what I would have done without it, honestly. However, I have not had a reason to create an account or post my own question until now...so here goes..

I'll get right to it, and try to keep it as short as possible...

Okay, so I started nuvaring on Friday, October 23rd, because it was an appropriate time in my cycle and a Sunday start would have been too late... I am scheduled then, to remove it this upcoming Friday, November 13th. However, I have plans this weekend that would really be much better off without my withdrawal bleed interfering... So, my questions are...

If i took the ring out today, Sunday November 8th, and replaced it in one week, Sunday November 15th, would it still be effective?

Would my withdrawal bleed still arrive within the ring-free time between then and now?

Would it interfere with the effectiveness to take it out five days early, being that this is my first cycle of nuvaring?

I guess I'm just looking for some more information and really wondering if it would be possible and okay to take it out five days early, in order to start my withdrawal bleed early, and allow for a sunday start in one week, and it still be effective?

Thanks, killah.

[ 11-08-2009, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: killah ]

Posts: 9 | From: illinois | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because there's been no study in young women on menstrual suppression/manipulation, understand that one the whole, it's not something as an org we recommend yet. And if you're curious about some of my more personal/medical ethics feelings about this, you can check this out: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/i_being_born_woman_and_suppressed

I also, since your body is just getting used to the ring would not suggest messing with it so soon.

However, we respect that these choices are up to y'all.

That said, the better way to do what you're trying to do would be to keep your ring in until the Friday it is supposed to come out, then put the new one in then and simply attempt to skip this withdrawal bleed (you'd then keep that new ring in for three weeks). Either way, you may still have some withdrawal bleed or some breakthrough bleeding anyway (especially being brand new to the method), but this way would be the better way to do that, especially in your first cycle, and especially if you do want to try and skip that bleed.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killah
Neophyte
Member # 44625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the response...
It's not so much that I want to skip it, I guess, but more that I would like to get on a schedule with a Sunday start so it doesn't interfere with my weekends so much, since that is normally when i get to see my guy.. and i just think it would be easier for me all around to be on a sunday start instead of a funky friday one, and I'm not sure how to go about doing that. I would like to have the withdrawal bleed, five days early, not supress it, I just didn't know if it could work like that...

Posts: 9 | From: illinois | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If that's the deal, my personal suggestion would be to give it a couple cycles first, just so your body isn't more "WTF?" than it can already be when starting a new method.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killah
Neophyte
Member # 44625

Okay, thanks so much. That makes sense.
I'm still curious, though, so speaking from that, would taking the ring out and beginning the withdrawal bleed five days early affect its effectiveness - in either circumstance - whether i were to do that now or in a few cycles? If that makes sense...I don't know how to word it better haha.

[ 11-08-2009, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: killah ]

Heather
Member # 3

If you are taking the ring out this time, and not having a ring in for the full cycle then yes: it very well might impact its effectiveness, and for someone doing that, I'd suggest a backup method for that first cycle and then also the second (since the first will have been incomplete).

Per changing to a Sunday start a couple cycles from now, what I'd just do is use a backup method for the first week of the new ring, after the one you took out early. But you can always double-check this with your pharmacist.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

killah
Neophyte
Member # 44625

Okay, gotcha. I just wasn't sure how all of that would work, exactly. This website has been very helpful for me with anything I have questions about, I just had never seen anything like the question I had anywhere around here and the pamphlet that comes with the ring only says so much... Thanks so much for the help, I appreciate it, I understand that all a little better now. [Wink]
Thanks bunch, Heather.

Heather
Member # 3

So happy to help, and thanks for the compliments! [Smile]

Just to leave you with some more basics from the manufacturer, this is what I'd look at per their info to address this. I'd treat it as if the ring had fallen out:

quote:
If NuvaRing is out for more than 3 continuous hours during the first 2 weeks of starting a new NuvaRing: Contraceptive effectiveness may have been reduced, so you might not be protected from pregnancy. Reinsert the ring as soon as possible and use an extra method of birth control (such as condoms or spermicide) until you have used NuvaRing for 7 days in a row.

If NuvaRing has been out for more than 3 continuous hours during the third week of using a new NuvaRing: Throw the ring away and choose 1 of the 2 options below:

1. Insert a new ring immediately. This begins the next 3-week use period. You may not have a period but you may experience breakthrough spotting or bleeding.

2. Have your period and insert a new ring no later than 7 days from the time the previous ring was removed or expelled. This option should be chosen only if the ring was used continuously for the preceding 7 days. In addition, you must use a barrier method (such as condoms or spermicide) until you have used NuvaRing for 7 days in a row.

[ 11-08-2009, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

killah
Neophyte
Member # 44625

What you guys do here truly is awesome. And I know I speak for more than myself when I say that, so really the thanks is all to you [Big Grin]

And okay, that all makes sense. I might as well just wait until I'm supposed to take it out on Friday anyways, let that withdrawal bleed do its thing, and insert the new ring on the 20th like I'm supposed to.

Then I'll get a few more cycles under my belt where I can then consider switching to a Sunday start..
My understanding from reading the pamphlet is that, if used as directed, when inserting the new ring after the seven day break, I am protected and do not need to use a back up method from there on out. Correct?

However, if in a few cycles, I switch to a Sunday start by making it arrive early, removing it on a day during the third week and inserting a new ring on the following Sunday - but less than 7 days following removal, I would then have to use a back up method for seven days?

Sorry for all these questions, and if they're confusing.. I just appreciate talking it out with someone who knows more about it all then I do, I feel like I reach a better understanding of how it all works that way. [Smile] Thanks

Heather
Member # 3

quote:
My understanding from reading the pamphlet is that, if used as directed, when inserting the new ring after the seven day break, I am protected and do not need to use a back up method from there on out. Correct?
Yep. [Smile]

And yep on that seven-day backup. You'll have the hormones from the couple cycles before in your system, so won't need to back up for a whole month. I'd just do that switch to Sunday in your third week of the ring, not the second, so you don't have to worry about losing effectiveness for any pregnancy risk that may occur in the cycle before.

No need to be sorry: this is what we're here for. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

killah
Neophyte
Member # 44625

Awesome, that's what I figured I would do.
Thank you again again again.

Also, I just got to thinking, I am supposed to take my ring out on Friday the 13th, which I will do to allow the withdrawal bleed to happen, I know it can begin at any time during those seven ring-free days... but let's say that the bleeding were to begin on that same Friday that I took the ring out, that Saturday or Sunday, could I potentially put the ring in on Sunday the 15th, even though I just took it out on Friday, to begin a Sunday start even though it would have only been two days since I took out the last ring? Or would it be recommended that I wait the whole seven days and put in a new ring on Friday the 20th, like I am scheduled to and then just switch later like we talked about before..?

LondonBlue
Activist
Member # 38698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LondonBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just jumping in here...
I think putting the new ring in on Sunday the 15th will be the most confusing thing for your body. If you've decided to have the withdrawal bleed, I would just put the ring in on Friday the 20th to start normalizing your cycle.

Just curious, why do you want to switch to a Sunday start? If it's a convenience thing for your schedule, that's fine, but if you are concerned because the literature suggests that you do a Sunday start, know that there is no medical reason why you need to change out your ring on Sundays. I think they just do that because it's an easy day to remember the change. I started my ring on the last day of my period way back when; I think it was a Friday, but I switched it to Saturday after a few cycles because then my withdrawal bleed doesn't start until Monday and I have a dry weekend. So keep in mind that sticking to Friday as your change day is totally fine. [Smile]

Posts: 96 | From: West Coast USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killah
Neophyte
Member # 44625

Well, yeah, I'll let this withdrawal bleed go and see how it is. Maybe I'll luck out and get a free weekend too, which would be ideal, because then I wouldn't have to worry about changing everything around. It would really just be a convenience thing for me and also easier for me to remember. My weekends are my busiest times and also the times when I normally get to see my guy, so naturally, it would be better to not have to make do with blood and sex. [Wink]
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.