Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » i feel really stupid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i feel really stupid
evilstrawberry
Activist
Member # 39129

Icon 8 posted      Profile for evilstrawberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So today my boyfriend and I went to boston, and happened to visit a few a-ahem- adult stores. After some recent talking we figured it would be fun to look at toys for me, so in we went. Well obviously, I was hesitant, seeing as I didnt want to pay any sizable amount of money for something awkward that would potentially be useless/unsatisfying/unreturnable. I tend to try to do my research before buying anything.

But after feeling a little pressured (like, if I don't do it now i wont get another chance for a while... :-/ ) I did end up getting something, figuring, what the heck. And now, I feel really stupid. Because me, the soon-to-be environmental science major, bought a PVC dildo, which is greasy and smelly and makes me not even want to take it out of the package again, let alone use it. Every site I've read has warned against the toxic, cancer-causing chemicals in PVC products (which I already knew about!) and I don't even know if this thing is worth keeping in my possession. I didnt pay that much for it, less than $20 (which may have been a mistake to begin with) but I feel like that was a waste and I regret feeling pressured/embarrassed enough to have so rashly bought it without thinking of something so obvious.

Is there a good course of action to make this somehow worth it or should i ditch the thing

Posts: 117 | From: U.S. | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vshanti
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 43159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vshanti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My personal advice? Ditch it. I wouldn't want to put anything inside me that contains phthalates because it smells like plastic/chemicals and might leach toxins. If you do decide to use it, though, I'd recommend using a condom. [Smile]

Next time you're at the sex toy store, check out toys made of elastomer, silicone, stainless steel or glass. Those aren't made with phthalates.

PS: I don't think you're stupid!

[ 08-23-2009, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: vshanti ]

--------------------
Vanessa

I believe in the radical possibilities of pleasure, babe...
I do, I do, I do.

Posts: 140 | From: Montreal | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilstrawberry
Activist
Member # 39129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilstrawberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would using a condom eliminate most of the risks/ negatives of the phthalates? And is hot water and soap sufficent for cleaning? (even though they cant be sterilized)
Posts: 117 | From: U.S. | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the by...if you do decide to get rid of it and it cannot be returned, there apparently is a new program where you can actually recycle sex toys in the US. I've read about it on several news outlets and it seems legit.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vshanti
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 43159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vshanti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi evilstrawberry,

There is no conclusive evidence saying that a condom will absolutely 100% protect you from all risks. It would depend on other factors, like the thickness of the latex, if it's a new condom, whether added lubricants or spermicides might increase the risk. The fact is that no one knows. I think it's safe to assume that using condoms will lessen the risk, but not that it will eliminate them completely.

--------------------
Vanessa

I do, I do, I do.

Posts: 140 | From: Montreal | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilstrawberry
Activist
Member # 39129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilstrawberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm ok. Well I put a condom on it and I could still smell it, so I figure that's not a good sign. And @KittenGoddess, that looks like a pretty awesome program. I think I'll put it to good use and recycle the toxic toy and put the 10 bucks gift card towards a safer upgrade lol.

Thanks to the both of you =)

vshanti
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 43159

I agree, KittenGoddess' suggestion is great! Good luck with the toy & I wish you all the best [Smile]

--------------------
Vanessa

I do, I do, I do.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.