Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Dental Dams

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dental Dams
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What? What's this? Irmelin's here! Asking a question! I have to say, I miss Scarleteen a bunch.

But okay... I can't find advice on this anywhere. Dental dams. All I hear is the 101 of "hold the dam over the vulva, pinning it down on each side".

It looks good on paper, but in practicality, not so much. In order to keep the dam where it's supposed to be, you pretty much have to hold nicely still, stick to external stimulation only, and only have oral sex in one position. My partners and I have tried to be good about using them, but ten minutes in they're a tangled mess, or we want to add internal stimulation (which quickly brings us back to tangled mess), or switch to a position where it's totally impractical to reach with your hands.

Are we just doing it wrong or are there better ways to keep barriers in place for woman-woman sex? Duct tape? Haha

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if your hands aren't working, you can use the instructions for making a dam harness I put in my book.

OR, you can shift to using cling-film. I suggest that because you can wrap the film in a waaaaaaaay longer strip around the hips so you don't need to hold anything. In other words, open a roll, hold the end just below the vulva, then first warp from there around the right hip, then when you get below the vulva again, swing over and wrap the left one, stopping when you get to the bottom one more time. Rub the end against the other film, and it'll all stay right there, hands-free.

Alternately, something I also mentioned in the book was cutting a latex glove to use it as a dam, which will leave you with fingers and/or thumb on the glove to combine with internal, depending on how you cut it. Plus, gloves are way cheaper than dams, so even if you just want to change things up and not do oral for a bit, it's no big to toss the last one and take out a new one for use if you go back to oral.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hint: in my book. I feel like a heathen, but I never actually got myself a copy, although I placed an order a few minutes ago, now. I think you promised me a free copy after I got the closest call in the title-naming contest, so I didn't really think about buying one for the longest time, which turned into me just forgetting. >.O

I guess I'll wait 3-5 business days for more specific instructions. lol Thank you.

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, gah. I forgot about that, too. [Frown]

Anyway, it was logic_grrl who gave the harness pattern here at the boards in '03, and here it is again:

quote:
How To Make Your Very Own Dental Dam Harness: a fun project for a rainy day

First of all, locate a store that sells sewing supplies and buy a packet of garter snaps and any fabric (or ribbons, or silk cord, or anything, really) that takes your fancy.

You want fake leather? Pink velvet ribbons? Lime green with purple spots? Whatever.

Next, once safely home, take a dental dam (or piece of saran wrap) of the sort/size you will be using.

Attach a garter snap to each corner of the dental dam.

Position the dental dam over your crotch (or the crotch of the person for whom you are making the harness). If you're doing this over clothing, it looks very silly but works fine.

Now, the fun bit: attach strips of fabric/ribbon/whatever to the other ends of the snaps and round yourself so that they hold the dam in place.

Really, you can do this in almost any way you like. Two obvious arrangements are:

1) the bikini type, with just 2 strips of fabric going from front to back over each hip.

2) the garter belt type, with a "belt" around the waist with four strips of fabric hanging down, each attaching to a strap.

You can get as artsy-craftsy as you like, or not: if you can't sew at all, you can use fabric glue or just use ribbons which you can tie.

Once you've got it all fixed together to your liking, simply unclip the snaps, discard the dam, and voila!

You have your very own dental dam harness.

Safer sex and a fashion statement!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Wow, way too cool! Fun couple-y art project + safe sex = win. lol

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.