Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » BV and Acidophilus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BV and Acidophilus
LadyLuck77
Activist
Member # 31504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLuck77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good morning.

Could anyone here offer any insight into home remedies for BV? I am currently without insurance and have been experiencing symptoms and problems for the past two weeks. They got decidedly worse after intercourse (with ejaculation) on Saturday night.

I did some research and found that acidophilus capsules taken orally and vaginally work well. I took two capsules orally, but am unsure as to how to insert the capsule vaginally. Will the plastic part of the capsule hurt me? Do I just put the whole thing in? The websites I looked at did not discuss the "how to". [Smile]

Also, I hear folic acid works well, too. Any opinions on this?

As always, thank you for your help and time.

Posts: 71 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My infection-treater of choice is garlic. I slice a clove in half, cover the sliced part with my finger, and stick it in as quickly as possible to minimize burning. Slicing it releases a larger "dose" of the active chemical that is released by damaging the clove, and it's cleared up even really bad infections within days of nightly use for me. Check it out here:

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/garlic.asp

I'd say stick to taking the acidophilus orally. While some women have success using yogurt/inserting capsules, recent research has shown that the acidophilus in dairy products doesn't "take" or adhere to the vaginal walls. It's also not shown to be as effective for anything other than yeast, to my recollection. But, it couldn't hurt to take/insert after another treatment to rebalance things. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, being without insurance -- and believe me, I get it, have been there for over 20 years myself -- doesn't mean you can't get any healthcare for this.

I'd be happy to help you try and find some locally, especially since with two and some weeks of symptoms, even if it is BV, you may be past the point of DIY.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyLuck77
Activist
Member # 31504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLuck77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Heather....I would LOVE to know what healthcare options are available to me without having insurance. I really appreciate you taking the time.
Posts: 71 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course. Can you toss your zip code at me?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyLuck77
Activist
Member # 31504

Heather
Member # 3

You've got a branch of Planned Parenthood right in your zip code here: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-center/centerDetails.asp?f=2587

They offer sliding scale fees based on income, and also can help you enroll into any available programs in your state for healthcare if you like.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

LadyLuck77
Activist
Member # 31504

Heather, I never got back on here to thank you for sending this information but, thank you. Very much. [Smile] I visited the Planned Parenthood you suggested and got taken care of, for a VERY reasonable cost.

Thanks again. You are a gem!

Heather
Member # 3

You're so welcome! I'm so glad it worked out for you. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.