Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » PID Inquiry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PID Inquiry
paperlight
Neophyte
Member # 42077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paperlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there,

I'm back with more questions (this summer has not been nice to me in terms of sexual health).

So I was recently diagnosed with PID. I am currently waiting for my STI screening, just to make sure I'm clean. However, I have a couple of questions regarding PID...

Many websites say that it is the leading cause of infertility. I definitely want to have children some day, so i just want to know the percentage of women who become infertile due to PID.

Also, is this pretty common for women? I've read/heard mixed opinions about this. A lot of people say that it can only happen when you have an STI, and some say that this is a frequent among young people who are generally sexually active.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Posts: 19 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most common way for women to develop PID is through a sexually transmitted (it's usually due to chlamydia or gonorrhea, two of the most common STIs) or bacterial infection, usually when they go undetected and untreated. There are a few other known causes: IUDs pose risks of PID, douching can, and other reproductive health procedures, if an infection results from them, can cause PID. The reason PID is more common among younger women is because STIs are more common, but also because in women under 25 or so, cervical cells have not finished developing and are more suceptible to infection.

PID is also the leading cause of infertility in women, but that doesn't mean that always happens. In most cases it does not: the rate of infertility due to PID is about one in five.

Is PID common? Yes, especially considering the rates of STIs and how often people don't get tested or treated. In the states, the CDC reports that around one million women a year wind up with PID.

(Just an FYI? "Clean" is actually realy horrid terminology for a person not having a sexually transmitted infection: it implies those who do are dirty, which isn't true, and suggesting that really stigmatizes people who have or have had infections, which may, for the record, given the PID, include you. "Negative" is a better term, or "clear of STIs" or the like.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paperlight
Neophyte
Member # 42077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paperlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the FYI - I will keep this in mind and I apologize for being insensitive.

Another question, though ...
I know that PID can result to painful sex, but can it be caused by it? A week ago, I experienced very painful sex with my partner, which is not always the case. After a couple of days, it subsided and when we resumed intercourse, the pain went away. Do you think there is a link here?

Posts: 19 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pain during sex cannot cause PID, no. PID is a result of bacteria or viruses making their way into the uterus. PID is also not something you'd have developed in just a week from one sexual incident. An existing infection of some kind would usually have lingered around for a while before spreading so you wound up with PID.

However, PID -- and some of the infections that can cause it -- most certainly often causes painful sex.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.