Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Foreplay vs Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Foreplay vs Sex
Member # 35831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mortality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear people talking about "sex" and "foreplay" all the time, and often I have to ask how they define those terms. Where does "foreplay" turn into "sex"?

Where do you draw the line between them?

[ 06-15-2009, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Mortality ]

Posts: 122 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Foreplay is sex.

The more likely reason why some people differenciate foreplay from sex is because their definition of sex is intercourse but sex is much more than that and includes other types of sex such as oral and manual, it isn't intercourse only.

I personnally therefore don't draw a line between sex and foreplay because to me foreplay is sex.

[ 06-15-2009, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

Sustain Scarleteen by donating

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 42460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToWhomItMayConcern     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When foreplay and sex are defined together, usually foreplay is anything other than sexual intercourse. This of course does not mean that foreplay is not real sex- because it is.

Traditionally foreplay can be making out, oral sex, mutual masturbation, etc. used to arouse and to get ready for the "actual" sex (which at this point it should be realized that there can be much more to sex than just intercourse).

'Foreplay' is not really a good term at all. The acts of foreplay can be done through out the whole sexual encounter, not just before having intercourse. It can be before, after, during, or whatever. Also, it can be the only thing you do, it doesn't have to be solely done to lead up to intercourse.

As for the line, there truly isn't one. You can define foreplay as you like it, or just abandon the term completely. Essentially, foreplay is sex, therefore they are very much one and itself.

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 35831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mortality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to a friend about this last night.. She defined it as everything meant to get you horny is foreplay and everything meant to get you off is sex. I kinda liked her definition^^
Posts: 122 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly, when we're talking about physical activities, have never been able to figure out how people draw a line between "foreplay" and sex. Mind, I'm older than the users here, my partners have been of all genders, and my experiences tend to be more vast than many of our users, but still. I just view sex in a very holistic and broad way, a view that doesn't lend itself well to ideas like foreplay.

Personally, if I'm talking about foreplay, for myself, I tend to be talking about things which are more intellectual or social than anything else. In other words, the kind of stuff that happens BEFORE any physical touching: talking, for instance, how time is spent before any physical contact begins, etc.

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.