Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » itchiness/irritation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: itchiness/irritation?
Peach7262
Activist
Member # 42892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peach7262     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently noticed an itchiness on my inner labia. My boyfriend and I haven't had sex, and I'm a virgin, but he fingers me often. I took a look with a mirror and noticed a little bit of red irritation, possibly just from what I itched but there was a little raised bump. I'm not sure exactly what this could be, and is there any way to treat it? My boyfriend is also a virgin, so I'm pretty sure that there isn't a way I could have gotten an STD from touching him and then touching myself...
The itching isn't overwhelming, but it is uncomfortable.

Thank you [Smile]

Posts: 61 | From: MA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right that it's probably not an STD, but it might be some other type of infection (like a bacterial one). It also could be something as simple as a pimple or ingrown hair that has gotten irritated.

If it doesn't go away in the space of a couple days, I'd get it checked out by a doctor, just in case.

For now, do your best not to scratch it, and wear breathable underwear and pants.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peach7262
Activist
Member # 42892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peach7262     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks so much [Smile]
Posts: 61 | From: MA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suggestive
Neophyte
Member # 42895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suggestive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also check out what kind of underwear you are wearing. If it is tight and doesn't allow for much breathing (especially as the weather gets warmer) that can cause some itching as well.
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peach7262
Activist
Member # 42892

Okay, so I posted this a while ago, and I went to the doctor when it didn't stop itching for a while, and it was a yeast infection, so I used Monistat and it went away really soon. I think I may have gotten it from being in a wet bathing suit or something?

But I just got back from a vacation at the beach, and I also just started on the pill, and now the itchiness is back. I'd rather not go to the doctor again, because the symptoms are basically the same. Could I go on an over-the-counter medication if I'm pretty sure it's a yeast infection?

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if you're having the same symptoms, it's fine to get an over-the-counter treatment. If the treatment doesn't help though, you will need to go back to the doctor. Some women find that the over-the-counter treatments like Monistat don't fully get rid of the infection for them, in which case you can get a prescription medication that's a bit stronger.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.