Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Early Period on the pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Early Period on the pill
ausam
Neophyte
Member # 39519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there,

My friend asked me a question about birth control earlier and I didn't know what to tell her. I was wondering if you could help me out. She said,

"this month i have been very good and not missed a single pill but today i had some bleeding...almost like it was my period...but idk if it is or not...but i still have like 4 more regular pills left...so i am like a week early"

She was curious as to what the reason for this could be. We googled it and didnt have much luck finding anything helpful. Do you guy have any ideas I could pass onto her?

Thanks,

Ausam

Posts: 28 | From: Aus | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is she/has she been sexually active?

If so, it's always wise to be sure, especially if she isn't using latex barriers, that she's up-to-date with her screenings for STIs. I say that in part because unexplained bleeding can be a symptom of a couple STIs.

However, this also can be happening just because. Not everyone gets withdrawal bleeds only once the placebo period starts, and as well, breakthrough bleeding is something that happens with hormonal methods for some women sometimes. It's a fairly common event.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausam
Neophyte
Member # 39519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes she is sexually active, and she has been dating the same guy for I think two years, so I do not think it would be an STI.

I shall pass on the information you said to her. Thanks so much.

Posts: 28 | From: Aus | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dating the same person for years really isn't a reason to go without testing. Mind, if any two people HAVE been sexually exclusive that whole time and before ditching barriers did both have a full round of STI tests that all came up negative? Then yes, an STI is very unlikely.

But a lot of people don't both have all those tests before going without barriers, and we have to be realistic and also realize that it's very common for people not to be sexually exclusive who say they are. I know the latter is never fun to look at or deal with, but it is what it is.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.