Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Vegan Condoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vegan Condoms
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heya... I came across vegan condoms a good few months ago in a student co-op...

Firstly I thought "Isn't latex just made of ...latex? How do they get eggs/milk into condoms?"

I thought yeah, veganism can be good, condoms are good maybe I should get some!

But then i sort of got distracted by doubt and thinking that i feel most safe with the most "normal" condoms I can get... and was a bit too busy to remember to look them up again...

since then I'm more inclined to stock up on some... I shouldn't think ineffective condoms would be for sale anywhere (and they've been around for about 10 years). So I can only guess that they're perfectly safe and that my superstition isn't going to help anyone.

Has any one else made a similar vegan condom discovery?

And, just to be sure, are there any known significant differences in the risk factors of vegan condoms compared to non-vegan ones?

It sort of makes me think about how much trust we put in big brands... I like independent things and like to support local food-growers, i like independent shops and local initiatives but when it comes to condoms i seem to have been a lot more suspicious... and I wonder if that's a bad thing or not... there's a lot of risk involved and i can be sure that a big brand will be more experienced...

I don't think any philosophical consumer choice should be a reason to feel bad for trying to make the best decision regarding ones sexual health... I still am weary though of buying my condoms from "the man"...

I think buying some just to open up and have a look at is the best way to build my confidence in them, which I very much would like to do. I do prefer to avoid animal products where they're not necessary.

[ 04-18-2009, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: PenguinBoy ]

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TPB
Neophyte
Member # 40974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TPB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really sure about their reliability, since I've only heard about vegan condoms in passing, but what are they made of?

Theoretically latex and polyurethane condoms should be vegan... only ones that are definitely not are lambskin ones. I can't find anything about animal products used in the latex condom production (despite other claims on vegan-condom websites). They also should theoretically all be equally safe, though word-of-mouth would indicate otherwise. Maybe you should look online for reviews.

Posts: 19 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goodmagpie
Neophyte
Member # 42795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goodmagpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Latex has milk in, apparently. I think Pasante do some... I'll see if I can find the link.
Posts: 23 | From: UK | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alexisinwonderland
Peer Educator-in-Training
Member # 43163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexisinwonderland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glyde Health company makes vegan condoms, dams and gloves -- they are made of latex, but without the milk protein. If you do a search, you can probably find different retailers online.

--------------------
"But then, shall I never get any older than I am now? That'll be a comfort, one way -- never to be an old woman -- but then -- always to have lessons to learn!" (Lewis Carroll)

Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strike9
Neophyte
Member # 43904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strike9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go ahead and have a look at this link, it will explain it a bit better: http://sexuality.about.com/od/contraception/a/vegancondoms.htm

--------------------
- Strike9

Posts: 6 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.