Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Sex and UTIs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex and UTIs
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mortality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read that if you pee after sex you reduce the risks of getting a UTI. I was wondering if this is only for intercourse or other types of sex too..
Posts: 122 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that works for any kind of genital sex. [Smile] Urinating before AND after helps clear your urinary tract of any bacteria that could hang around and cause an infection.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mortality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks^^
Posts: 122 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No trouble. [Smile] How have things been for you overall, Mortality? Are you doing well?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

Well, apart from my second UTI in a month and my dad on life support after a head on collision with a truck I'm fine ^^
Heather
Member # 3

I'm so sorry about your Dad! My best thoughts are with you and he.

Per the UTIs, I assume you've had treatment? Have you also upped your fluids a bunch, maybe added a daily cranberry or pro-biotic supplement?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

He's most likely going to survive at least... I haven't talked to him in three years cos he's been a jerk.

I'm buying cranberry juice once in a while (the kind that tastes good is bloody expensive) and the doctor told me that if I get another one they should check it out more.

Heather
Member # 3

Well, the cocktails -- rather than the undiluted juice, which is the potent stuff that tastes HEINOUS, so you kind of have to do it in a shot -- won't likely help much. There just isn't enough cranberry in them. The pills are very concentrated.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

My roomie made some kinda tea that supposed to help as well^^ That stuff tastes horrible too (can't remember what kind of tea, but she learned about it when she was in Mexico and it helps some)
ladylady
Neophyte
Member # 40138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where can you find the undiluted stuff? All the cranberry juice that I can find says "made from concentrate" on it.
Posts: 32 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrangePudding
Activist
Member # 40765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrangePudding     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can sometimes find undiluted cranberry juice at health food or organic stores. My dad used to drink it for gout and he got it from a supermarket called Cub (idk if they'd have that chain in Canada). I've found that the pills work best for me, though - easier to take than drinking that awful stuff, and easier to store so you don't have to go out to the store and buy some every time you have a UTI scare
Posts: 222 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.