Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Better safe then sorry, right? Need Advice.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Better safe then sorry, right? Need Advice.
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
** I just realized I should have posted this is the safer sex/birth control forum. Sorry, but here it is anyway.

I've been dating this guy for a year and half. I'll be 16 in two months, and he's already 17. We're sexually active. I talked to my mom about getting me on the pill about 10 months ago, and a few times since then, "because of my period," and she said when I turned 16. The truth is, my period really isn't as regular as I would want it to be- it's always late or early and having OCD, it drives me crazy- but I also just want to be on the safe side. After all, I'd rather take the pill than be a teenage parent. The thing is, I don't think she will actually put me on it because she doesn't want me to be having sex, and in her mind, that will just give me an 'okay'. With or without it, though, I'm obviously doing it..

So, I talked to friend whose aunt works at the local health clinic. I was considering going get the birth control now, since I get the feeling my mom won't do it, but I'm not sure how that would go if she actually stuck to her word. What do you think? She I just wait another two months, or should I go get on it now? Would there be a way for her not to find out if she brought me? I know they can't say anything about my person stuff, but if she brought me, and asked to put me on it, the doctor would have to say, whether it was to me, my mom, or both of us, that I was already on them...

Thanks a bunch. [Big Grin]

[ 01-25-2009, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Typical Young and Dumb Teenager? ]

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just trying to keep this post alive. The question still lingers.

[Eek!]

--------------------
Young and Dumb.

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It hadn't been that long young and dumb!

But sorry you waited anyway.

It seems here that the information your mother has for whether she approves to you using contraception is quite limited, i.e. you wanting to control periods. Unless they're completely wild (and contraception might not necessarily help) feeling secure about your control over your body and being able to backup condoms with the pill when you want to are much more pressing.

You seem to say you don't think your mother would be supportive if you used your actual reasons (?), it would be worth considering telling her if birth control is something you really want.

I'm assuming you're already using condoms here, which I advise strongly. Condoms are very effective as birth control, so for the two months until you find it easier to get hold of the pill you can still largely control your risk with condoms alone before you add the pill to the equation. Condoms can then continue to reduce your STI risk, and will be needed ensure pregnancy risks are further reduced especially for the first few weeks.

Depending on your home situation, I do think it's a good idea if you to continue thinking about when you could bring this up with your mother. Taking your pill on time may require support. It's even easier to forget things if we're pretending they're not happening, and if we DO forget things we need or leave pills somewhere it's good to tell people that you need their help to get hold of them.

about the effectiveness of using two methods:

The Buddy System

[ 01-26-2009, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: PenguinBoy ]

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it hadn't been that long. I just wanted to make sure it didn't get lost in the crowd, so to speak, and thank you for responding..

Now, I am definitely, and will continue after I get on the pill, using condoms. I, nor my boyfriend, are ready to be parents- financially, mentally, or physically. I've actually done a lot of research, and I try to ensure we're being as safe as possible at all times.

I don't know if you're trying to recommend telling my mom about me not wanting the pill just for my period, but it's more a matter of, I just can't- not now. Since my boyfriend is of legal age to have sex and I am not, and in 8 months he'll be a legal adult, and I still won't be 17, that's just out of the question. Plus, it would be pointless to even ask her to remind to take it because 1) she really doesn't want me on it in the first place and 2) she's never home, and when she is, I'm on the go. So, taking it on time is going to be ALL me, unless my boyfriend helps me remember, which I'm sure he'll do if I ask him to do so.

I got the answer I was looking for, I suppose. My friend said I should wait, too, anyway. Gracias.

--------------------
Young and Dumb.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.