Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » diaphragm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: diaphragm
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering, is it possible to request a diaphragm fitting during your first gyno visit? I read through the article on the main site and wasn't sure [Smile]

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is, but sadly, some doctors don't do fittings anymore since hormonal methods became so popular; I'd call before and ask to make sure. Most MD's dealing with contraception have received training for it and should have a fitting set, which they can use to fit you during a pelvic exam without a fuss. [Smile]

[ 01-04-2009, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJandDC
Neophyte
Member # 41528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MJandDC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the hardest time dealing with this a while ago.

When I went into a clinic, I asked to be fitted for a diaphragm, and the nurse practitioner said no because:
1) I was a virgin and it would hurt too much,
2) they didn't have a kit, or didn't know where it was,
3) it was really such an outdated method anyway, and wouldn't I like to just take a pill?

She got really pushy about the pill and I ended up leaving with a bag full of medicine I'll never take.

I still haven't gotten fitted for a diaphragm, though I'm still decided on cervical barrier methods. I ordered the femcap, and got it, but haven't used it yet.

Posts: 15 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually heard quite a few stories from other young women who's doctors, for whatever reason, would not give them a diaphragm. Many said that their doctor questioned their ability to use it correctly and pushed the pill on them.

I was lucky enough to get a prescription without any fuss (though I encountered a pharmacist who wouldn't fill it... and I had to get the manager to make him give my my prescription back...), but I'm beginning to realize that it's pretty common to have problems getting fitted for a diaphragm.

Would anyone be up for starting a new topic (so we don't hijack this one) to talk about some questions about this:
Do you think doctors just don't trust young women to not get pregnant while using the diaphragm? And why the pill pushing?
Don't doctors understand that sometimes women don't fake want hormones in their body all the time?

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJandDC
Neophyte
Member # 41528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MJandDC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's right for a doctor to question a woman's ability to use a certain kind of birth control correctly, even if it's not a pill. It's not his place. It's kind of an insult really.

My nurse practitioner kept saying how easy the pill is, versus how difficult it is to use a diaphragm. She was really concerned about the idea that you have to plan ahead for intercourse with a diaphragm, and that you can't just go for it when you want it without being prepared. I was like, you are talking to a 24-year-old virgin. I think I have the self-control necessary to take a time-out and head to the bathroom to put a little device in. It was kind of insulting that she thought I couldn't handle that.

She kept saying the pill is foolproof. The thing is, though, I'm not a fool. I don't need a foolproof method. I need the best method for me and my body, and if it requires a little planning and self-control, so be it.

Posts: 15 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone's future reference, whenever I am going somewhere new for a new diaphragm fitting, I'm just sure to make clear that is what I need when I am making my appointment. Some providers are not prepared to fit them, so to save myself a headache, I always check in advance.

This kind of experience is SO troubling, I agree. Especially since the pill is hardly foolproof (especially for younger women, whose typical use rates are actually a good deal lower than for those in their 20's). And in agreement with what is being said, absolutely, I find it really troubling when healthcare providers seek to influence patients with their own personal preferences -- not health concerns -- like this. Personally, if I encountered this, I'd be sending a letter.

atm1, I think that'd be an excellent topic if you want to start it. Especially since the "why" of some doctors really pushing hormonal methods -- even when they are methods a patient knows she does not want -- is a pretty big topic with a lot of legs.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the topic is now up here http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/8/t/001269.html
Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.