Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » No Period After Getting Off Birth Control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No Period After Getting Off Birth Control
tropicanapple
Activist
Member # 30636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tropicanapple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on birth control for almost 2 years and decided to temporarily stop for health reasons. I had my last placebo period mid October and I haven't had any spotting or bleeding since. I've also been pretty safe since getting off the pill and using condoms (although I'm not having sex as much). I've taken a pregnancy test and it showed up negative and will take another one sometime this week to double check. I'm just really confused about why my period hasn't come. I read some forums and people have had this problem after 5+ years of being on birth control.

If it isn't pregnancy, what can it be? Thanks.

Posts: 72 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's very commmon for it to take some time for your periods to restart and become regular after stopping hormonal birth control.

This probably does not represent a serious problem, but if you do not get any bleeding or spotting within the next month, it would be sound to just check in with your doctor or health professional.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tropicanapple
Activist
Member # 30636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tropicanapple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's been about a month since and I've taken a second pregnancy test, store bought, and it was negative. I've also experienced some spotting. First for a day or two then two weeks later, some heavier spotting but it was for about four days. Can I confirm that I'm not pregnant... or that the spotting indicates that there isn't anything strangely wrong with my reproductive organs?
Posts: 72 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two negative pregnancy tests confirms that you're not pregnant.

The spotting may be your body trying to re-establish regular, non-hormone induced, menstrual cycles.

--------------------
I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns. --Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.