Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » BC & Period Timing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BC & Period Timing
ausam
Neophyte
Member # 39519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, hi,

I want to start my period a week early in order to avoid having it while on vacation. Is it ok to stop taking my active pills a week in advance? I am not having any sex to speak of, so pregnancy is not an issue. Would you suggest I do this, or skip my period? My only concern with skipping my period is that I will have to do it again next month as well, because I will still be on vacation? Which do you think is a better decision? Start my period early by skipping a week of pills or skip my period two months in a row?

Thanks

Ausam

Posts: 28 | From: Aus | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's safer to simply skip the placebo week and continue taking the active pills of the next pack. This means you take 4 weeks of active pills instead of 3, and keep taking active pills until you're ready to bleed. I wouldn't do this for longer than 3 months, however.

Taking less than 21 active pills in a row can cause your ovaries to "wake up" and ovulate, which can not only put one at risk of pregnancy, but cause cycle disturbances when the pills are resumed.

However, once you've taken those 21 pills, you can take a break of no more than 7 days whenever you like no matter how many active pills you've taken. Many doctors who prescribe pills taken for menstrual suppression recommend allowing a 4-7 day break if significant breakthrough bleeding occurs and the method has been used at least 21 days to let the body have a period, without causing a risk of pregnancy.

Of course, your own doctor is the best person to ask, especially since some pills are poor choices to use for suppression (usually ones with "tri" in the name, or have different hormone doses by week). It's generally accepted that skipping periods with the pill short-term or occassionally is perfectly safe for just about anyone who can use the pill healthily. [Smile]

[ 12-05-2008, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.